Home Page

Improving Seed Germination and Sprout Survival

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Improving Seed Germination and Sprout Survival
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Given that you may well face a lack of enough seeds for your garden...  The follow article gives several methods to increase the number of seeds which DO make it into your garden.

http://prepperswill.com/improve-seed-germination/

I've used the soaking method, 24 hours before planting.  I cannot say that my sprouting rate was any better, because I did not do a comparison planting with Unsoaked seed.

My experience is that there were very few sprout failures, using the collected seeds from a few plants which were allowed to go to seed in the prior growing season.

I used Oats, Wheat, Clover, Beets and Carrots.  The beets and carrots were easy to judge, since they require individual seed placement and a failed plant was obvious.

The other seeds were scattered by hand and, while I got a good cover and about 25:1 crop, I did not (could not) count the failures.

Think you have enough seed already?  You'd better bet on NOT having enough and do everything you can to ensure maximum seed return.

Read the article for other advice on better returns from seed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.