Home Page

Growing Herbs on the window sill

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Growing Herbs on the window sill
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
This article give some easy to follow advice on keeping an herb garden in available window sill spaces.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/02/grow-mason-jar-herbs.html

The single drawback to this advice is the use of jars with no drainage.

The problem is over-watering, which will kill your herbs.

My advice would be to use actual clay planting pots, which have a drain hole, and placing these small pots in a long narrow tray.

Many herbs may be grown for seed, but without keeping a hive of bees in your home (no, don't do this) you must act as the designated pollinator, using a small paint brush to wipe the pollen in each blossom.  Consider it an act of meditation and learn to enjoy it.

Personally, I have Sweet Peppers and Basil growing in our windows right now.  The jury is still out on the peppers, which have blossoms and may have set fruit after I pollinated each one... Time will tell.

The Basil is easy to grow, but harder to get to set seeds.  Fortunately, Basil will grow as a perennial and you may (should) pinch the growing tips to force branching.  If you pinch out the growing tips, you will NOT get flowers and NOT get seeds.  It (Basil) may also be started and rooted from cuttings.

Experiment, you might find that you have a green thumb after all.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.