Home Page

Egg Production Hints

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Egg Production Hints
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Simple steps to take to keep egg production, even (especially) during winter.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/6-guaranteed-ways-to-boost-egg-production-during-winter/

I have some personal experience with raising chickens (and rabbits).

I started with a set of older chickens (gifted to me).  They were still giving me enough eggs for my personal use, but given the price of feed, it was a break-even with the cost of store-bought eggs.  I think the eggs tasted better, but I was probably biased.

I hatched one clutch of eggs (12 eggs) the first year and those new hens doubled my egg production when they reached maturity.  I did cull one male chick and raised one new rooster, so I had ten hens from that clutch.  All ten survived to maturity.

The older hens went into the freezer, along with the the original rooster (saying he was "tough" is being kind).  The original hens were at least 5-6 years old when I got them.  I think the original owner was unwilling to harvest them, which was my gain.

I did not try feeding sprouted grains, which might have helped feed costs.  Hindsight is always 20-20...

My hens did have free run of the 4 acre garden during spring, summer and fall, but would not leave the pen during winter, even if I opened the fence.  We did not have lengthy snow cover, so I have no idea why they were unwilling to leave.  Temperatures (Washington state) were never extremely cold.  Nights required that I lock the coop due to coyotes and dogs in the local area.  Chickens are too dumb to stay inside at night...

I did have a light in the coop for about six hours after sundown, which may have helped egg production, but I have no records to compare production without a light.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Egg Production Hints
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »

it was a break-even with the cost of store-bought eggs.  I think the eggs tasted better, but I was probably biased.

I doubt that it was bias, bright orange yoked eggs are not only much higher in vitamins and nutrients, but the absolutely taste better. If we run short of our own eggs, no one really wants to eat those pale yellow store bought except in baking.

original rooster (saying he was "tough" is being kind).

For sure1 but are really good eating when slow cooked until the meat falls from the bones in a vinery sauce.

I did have a light in the coop for about six hours after sundown, which may have helped egg production,

It defiantly helps in the cold dark winter and you don’t need very bright lights either. They do really need 14 hrs for hormone stimulation.

feeding sprouted grains, which might have helped feed costs

If you can buy bulk grain from a local elevator it might but the main value is in the growing sprouts vitamin and enzyme content. Important when they can’t graze on grass and weeds. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Egg Production Hints
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
230gr.  You're spot on about with your comments
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.