Home Page

Fall Potato Planting

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Fall Potato Planting
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
I've used this method and gotten good results, but not here, so I cannot speak to how well it will work in our location...

http://www.backwoodshome.com/plant-your-irish-potatoes-this-fall-or-winter/

DO NOTE the important point of planting on a thick bed of compost-able material (leaves, pine needles, wood chips,  garden and kitchen waste, etc.).  This will not only feed your growing plants, but more importantly will generate a small amount of heat which triggers the potato growth process during the winter.

In our dryer climate, some moisture may be needed to be added during the winter to the beds to keep the growing plants healthy and ensure that the compost decomposes.

Remember that you really should 'hill' the plants after the green grow reaches 6-8 inches above soil level.  This is because the majority of potato grow comes off of the stem, not from the root structure. 

I hilled my potatoes using deep straw (12-24 inches above the soil).  My crop was very heavy with larger potatoes in the straw layer and much smaller potatoes below the soil level.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.