Home Page

OPSEC - How Would A Non Prepper Know That You’re A Prepper?

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Particularly important for new Preppers.  Now is the time to start practicing Operational Security (OPSEC).

If you don't start now, you may have already given away the fact that you have "stuff".  That can put you on a target list, even by otherwise well meaning neighbors and friends who will remember that you have gear and supplies when a crisis hits.

So read this article and learn to be very circumspect in whom you confide about your Prepping activities.

This is where it pays to talk to experience Preppers or ask your ANONYMOUS questions online (that may be an oxymoron because the 'net is not secure).

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/how-others-know-you-are-a-prepper/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline xoruss

Re: OPSEC - How Would A Non Prepper Know That You’re A Prepper?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
   The first time a neighbor noticed the water cubes stored in my shop, they asked if I was a survivalist? I replied "No... The city's water system is in poor condition. We have had the water system fail before and were without water for several days. I just want to be ready if it fails again or when they take it down for modernization." Any food I "might" have is out of sight in a area where there is no foot traffic. I do not discuss it with anyone except family.
Russ
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:56:52 AM by xoruss »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:14:39 AM »

While the general population that is not already involved in prepping does not know I am a prepper, there is a large segment of the population that does. Primarily other preppers, but also large numbers of non-preppers, as well. Due to my books, magazine and TV interviews, the NNPG Amateur Radio net, my fairly open discussion and recommendations for people to prep, and a few through my doctorial candidate interviews. The US government and Missouri State government are both aware of my prepping. The US government through an investigation they did about me in the very early 80s when a county Civil Defense Director in Missouri asked them to as he had concerns about my requests for information. (Which were NOT restricted documents, and which no action was ever taken by the FBI after the investigation was complete.) Missouri Civil Defense was aware of my prepping from about the same time frame through interactions with them, during drills I participated in, and in which I was more than willing to discuss survivalism in conjunction with Civil Defense.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »
When someone asks - I tell them that I was a Boy Scout and right after I got my Emergency Preparedness merit badge we lost power and water for 2 days.  It sort of drove home the "Be Prepared" motto.  So I've kept doing that.   There is an Emergency Preparedness Merit badge.  It did not exist when I was a Boy Scout.
Not a deep cover but one sufficient to deter a casual look.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
I just explain I am a Boy Scout and want to "be prepared" for all kinds of camping.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions