Home Page

Recipe - Yeast from Hops

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Recipe - Yeast from Hops
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
The recipe is from the 1880s.

I find it interesting that the yeast from the hops will survive boiling ("simmering) water temperatures...  Part of the reason for boiling is to kill other, undesirable, bacteria and molds from growing in the yeast medium.

https://survivalblog.com/recipe-week-yeast-mama-b/

Since few of us will have hops in our spice cabinet, I would recommend that you experiment with other kinds of leaves.  For instance; blackberry leaves and fruit, potato skins

I'll point out that this recipe will produce usable yeast in only 24 hours.  Contrast this to the week or more needed to start a sourdough yeast starter.

NOTE: no mention is made of keeping this yeast culture alive by regular feeding of more flour.  This may have been common knowledge to our grand parents...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Recipe - Yeast from Hops
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »
Since the hops are in the boil, I wandered why they are in a yeast starter. In beer the give a bitter flavor but why would this be wanted in yeast starter? Well it turns out the hop oils have a component that bacteria do not grow well in but yeast does. I am guessing this is not sour dough? 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
 I am guessing this is not sour dough?

Sourdough has a mix of wild yeasts plus bacteria.  Hence the variation in actual flavor and the "sour".

I got the impression from the article that the yeast from hops is closer to what we find in commercial yeast,  A sweeter flavor?

I've no room to grow hops (20 ft high vines) so this will wait on testing.  I know we can buy hops, but I think it is dry.  No idea whether that will work in the recipe.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
Since dried hops is used in beer partly for flavor and aroma and partly to boost the yeast growth. Braum (floating beer yeast) was used in bread making for a hundred years after baking yeast was available, of so I might conclude:
1. Yeast starters with hops based breads must taste good or have good rising properties.
2. or it was cheaper that boughted dry bread yeast.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions