Home Page

(upd 1/27/18) Article - Reindustrialization After The Fall

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
(upd 1/27/18) Article - Reindustrialization After The Fall
« on: January 26, 2018, 06:37:37 AM »
This is a multi-part article and I will update this post as the other parts become available.

Part 1)  https://survivalblog.com/reindustrialization-fall-part-1-redneck-granddaddy/

Part 2)  https://survivalblog.com/reindustrialization-fall-part-2-redneck-granddaddy/

Part 3) 

Part 1 Starts with some good points about Food, Water and Shelter, these are worth reading and remembering...  The bulk of part 1 is about charcoal, including some easy instructions on making it (don't plan on stocking it and post-event you will not be able to buy it).

Part 2 is about using your charcoal and building a forge to make tools.

Part 3 promises more uses for charcoal
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:23:30 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Reindustrialization After The Fall
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:11 PM »
I definitely agree with being able to produce quality charcoal in Post Disaster World/Post Apocalypse World.

If (hopefully when) I get a place to create a perpper homestead, one of the items I will have as part of my craft, hobby, and trades work area/building will be an area for a collier to work.

It would include:
  Charcoal kilns
  Jig to hold and cut wood into blocks to be made into charcoal
  Wood storage racks (for wood to be converted to charcoal – White Willow preferably)
  Wood storage racks (for wood to be burned in kiln to heat kiln)
  Charcoal storage bins
  Tool rack w/tongs, cleaning brushes, shovel, etc.

And to feed the charcoal kilns I would want to have a couple of coppicing white willow orchards (which would also produce product for medicinal uses).

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - Reindustrialization After The Fall
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »
This is a simple method that produces very little smoke and, for bio char production will work with saw dust, bark small twigs, weed and plant residue. If you are making charcoal for the forge or cook stove, you will want fairly uniform size pieces.  Wood species is not too important except for black powder production or barbecue fuel.
230gr

Simple Down Burning Drum Method (5/28/2015)
This is another very basic biochar production that requires only a good steel drum with a tight fitting steel lid. It works on the fact that kindling, started on fire at the top of the barrel, will propagate downward as it burns pyrolyzes the main wood charge below. As the pyrolyzed volatiles passes upward through the fire, they are burned cleanly. When the kindling has burned down and the main charge has become a mass of glowing wood coals, the lid is placed on top of the barrel and weighed down to keep a near airtight seal. The retained heat will continue to cook the coal but without enough oxygen to actually burn. When the barrel has cooled down enough the handle, the biochar can be removed and sprayed with water to be sure it does there no live embers. The biochar can now be crushed to size and is ready for use. Any charred pieces of wood that did not become biochar (often dense knots) can be added to your next batch to be pyrolyzed.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: (upd 1/27/18) Article - Reindustrialization After The Fall
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »
Part 2 is linked in my OP and part 3 is promised.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.