Home Page

(upd 1/02/18) Article Series - American Redoubt Series

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
(upd 1/02/18) Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
I'll assume that most of you are aware of the "American Redoubt" as described by James Wesley, Rawles.  If not, this is an opportunity to investigate and decide if you can agree with the concepts, or not.  It is NOT an all-or-nothing choice.  Take what works for you and your family and keep up your learning.

Some of you may have read other articles which attempt to brand the Redoubt with one form or another of negative stereotypes.  All I can say is: make your own (informed) choice.

There is a series of articles, not necessarily in total favor of the Redoubt concept, which will give you a general idea of what the originator, Mr. Rawles, has in mind.

http://sandpointreader.com/tag/american-redoubt-series/

I hope that you find some ideas worth taking away from this series and encourage you to look at the prepper resource which is available form several (many) related websites and authors.

Necessarily, you must also perform your own due-diligence research and make informed choices (because your mother told you to...).  Please don't ignore all of the information because you may disagree with some aspect of that information... ;)

As a start, after you have read the articles in this series (three, at the time of this posting), I recommenf that you look at other articles from the same source; The Sandpoint Reader.

If you read this forum, you've seen my posts with links to a significant (IMO) prepping website: SurvivalBlog.com.  It has been a major source of good information and recommendations for "all-things-prepper".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:44:56 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

Re: Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
The final part of this series has been posted.

Whether or not you are planning on relocating to a more prepper friendly area, this series contains some (IMO) very good points on what to consider, before, during and after such a move.

It also may give you some ideas about your current location and how it might be managed for maximum safety and economy.

There are nine articles in this series.

The link is:

http://sandpointreader.com/category/redoubt-series/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
Ok, Not the final part of this series.  Part Nine is now available:

http://sandpointreader.com/american-redoubt-series-ruby-ridge-redoubt/

As a disclaimer, let me point out that this is, by its nature, very political and distinctly related to several of our thread analysis risk factors.

Also, I note the use of statistics from the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which, IMO, has a large (huge) political bias.

Still, I'll point at the map of the continental US and the relatively wide spread location of groups identified by the SPLC as being "active anti-government groups".  It does not seem to be isolated to one part of the country.  DO take this map with a "grain of salt" due to the source...  It could be biased by the people who created it (  ;) ::) :-\ ).  Ya Think?

I post this link as part of my effort to stay aware of trends which impact my prepping and NOT because I particularly espouse any of the views expressed by the authors.  YMMV
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:48:06 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
One interesting thing is that according to the ash fall maps, most of that area N and W of Yellowstone has not been in the ash fall from Yellowstone eruptions.

Haven't been able to find out about other volcano related hazards though
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »
Yellowstone was one of the big factors that I looked at, a few years ago, when working on my prepper plans.  I decided that Montana and Wyoming were both too cold/dry and too close to Yellowstone, in the wrong direction.

I still like country of eastern Oregon and eastern Washington, but they have some serious political problems that ruled them out.  I wouldn't mind living there "Post-Event", but not under their current government and with their current set of residents.  Not to make them all sound bad, but they do have a lot of California transplants... 8)

Geologically, the area seems relatively stable, with the exception of Yellowstone.  Historically, they have had volcanic action, as witnessed by the lava plains and the west coast volcanoes.  These might become a factor, but not in my lifetime (IMO).

With respect to the current weather, the whole redoubt is subject to colder winters and more snow.  This I can accept.  Long term, the threat of glaciers is a factor, but again, not in my lifetime.

Living now in Nevada, we have slightly more volcanic / earthquake risk and, were it not that Nevada is mostly desert, we would have an immigration problem from California too.

The last article, linked in a prior post, tends to put too much emphasis (In My Not So Humble Opinion) on the politics of the whole Redoubt area.  I think that is a result of the source used by the author, the SPLC.  I think I can deal with those kind of people, better than I can deal the current California mindset.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:46:56 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 12/24/17) Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
Another part in this series has been added.  Be warned, it focus on the political party differences and NOT on prepping per se.  Still, this is the kind of event for which we prep...

http://sandpointreader.com/american-redoubt-series-anatomy-one-party-state/

This is interesting (to me anyway) because it reveals how a large community can change it's politics over time.  It also points to some the factors which cause such changes.  I draw your attention to the influx of Californians during the 1990s which is discussed in the article.

Here in Nevada, we saw some of this change also, but, I think, not to the degree that was felt by the "Redoubt" region.

I will speculate that California is NOT done with it's political changes and we are likely to see even more migrations out of Cali.

I think the Redoubt is worth watching because it may serve as a "bellwether" for other states and other redoubts in the continental US.

Also watch the pattern of population movement due to the current (still burning) wildfires in California.  There is a large loss of housing, in a region with very high cost of living.  I'm guessing the some (unknown) number of people will choose to leave California, again...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:22:47 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
I'm going to speculate that the homes lost in California, in the current wildfire, cannot be rebuilt for what they originally cost (not even close).

This might result in people taking their insurance benefits and looking for homes outside of California.  I would certainly do this...

So watch home pricing outside of California and property for sale (in California)  in the next six months to a year, as insurers begin to pay for lost homes.

Watch home prices in Nevada, particularly Reno and Las Vegas, Oregon, Washington and the Redoubt states.

The number of available homes and lots outside Californian may drop and prices climb...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 12/26/17) Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:27 AM »
For those who have followed this article Series, let me point you at a criticism by the "founder" of the American Redoubt, James Wesley, Rawles:

https://survivalblog.com/survivalblogs-news-american-redoubt-26/

Read the first two paragraphs at this link to see that not all of the articles in the Series adheres to the same mindset.  Nor does everyone agree on what the Redoubt is all about...

Again, apply your news filters on anything you read, particularly when it is on the Internet... ( What?  You mean the internet might be Wrong? Gasp! ) ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 12/26/17) Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
It appears that the final article in this series has be posted:

http://sandpointreader.com/american-redoubt-series-redoubt/

In the interest of fairness, the series on the American Redoubt includes both supporters and detractors.  This may help you keep a perspective and to make your own decisions...

I will also direct your attention to this article from SurvivalBlog.com:

https://survivalblog.com/survivalblogs-news-american-redoubt-27/

I nust offer my thanks to the editors and various authors on SurvivalBlog.com for their labors in providing this resource to us all.  It is too bad there are not more such resources, perhaps focused on prepper activity in other areas. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ken_

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
Another part in this series has been added.  Be warned, it focus on the political party differences and NOT on prepping per se.  Still, this is the kind of event for which we prep...

http://sandpointreader.com/american-redoubt-series-anatomy-one-party-state/

This is interesting (to me anyway) because it reveals how a large community can change it's politics over time.  It also points to some the factors which cause such changes.  I draw your attention to the influx of Californians during the 1990s which is discussed in the article.

Here in Nevada, we saw some of this change also, but, I think, not to the degree that was felt by the "Redoubt" region.

I will speculate that California is NOT done with it's political changes and we are likely to see even more migrations out of Cali.

I think the Redoubt is worth watching because it may serve as a "bellwether" for other states and other redoubts in the continental US.

Also watch the pattern of population movement due to the current (still burning) wildfires in California.  There is a large loss of housing, in a region with very high cost of living.  I'm guessing the some (unknown) number of people will choose to leave California, again...

"Funny" how the author picks on Idaho for being "too Republican" while not mentioning what's going on in other states like California, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. that are also effectively one party states... who are now exporting their "progressive" ideas to formerly free states like Nevada, Texas, Arizona, and I guess now Idaho.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 1/02/18) Article Series - American Redoubt Series
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
Politically speaking, I don't feel that California is on a path which leads to something long lasting, nor to anything good.

Those who are leaving Cal. right now are closer to the conservative political path.  Those who remain are increasingly "illegal" immigrants and misinformed snowflakes who were "processed" by the Cal. school system.

My bigger worry is when those non-citizens and poorly educated decide to that even they cannot accept the state policies.  They will want to leave, headed North or East.  We, in Reno, are directly on one of those routes and this scenario is too close to the "golden horde" meme to be even remotely comfortable.

Any large exodus will jam up at Reno and Las Vegas and be unwilling to attempt the desert routes farther east.  I will consider leaving the Reno area when that kind of problem starts to make the news, if not before...

I have plans...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions