Home Page

(upd - 7/5/17) Article - Horizontal Relationships: The Key to True Independence

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
This is a multi-part article and I will update this post as the other parts become available.

This is appropriate, I believe, to we who are preppers.  The kinds of relationships discussed by the author seem to match well with the needs of preppers, particularly those who are already s member of a group.

Prepper "loners" will also find some benefit from the discussion, perhaps enough to consider making links to other preppers...  If you're a "loner" but are reading this, you have already made the first step in that direction.

Part 1)  https://survivalblog.com/horizontal-relationships-key-true-independence-part-1-j-e/

Part 2)  https://survivalblog.com/horizontal-relationships-key-true-independence-part-2-j-e/

Part one makes the distinction about the type of "independence" celebrated on our US holiday; Independence Day. This is where I see the similarity to the prepper "movement".

I also recognize the warning contained in the article about reliance on "vertical" dependencies, for example; depending on someone else to provide services such as "governance" and " social guidance".   I believe these are best left to individual and local groups.  Not to mention dependence on our network of delivery services... Think gasoline, electricity, food, water, sewage, the list get larger the more you think about it.

Before you mis-interpret my statements and run off to join a militia (the tin foil brigade is recruiting), read the article and think about it as the other parts are posted by the author.

Part two uses some examples (hypothetical) to show how a "vertical dependency" does not offer real security or safety in out average American lifestyle.  They examples used; reliance on a local police force and assuming that our cell phone service / internet provider will always be there when needed are not the only problems which might fail during a true crisis...  Consider the public schools system, too which many parent trust the safety of their children.

The author gives some (IMO) excellent options for moving to a more "horizontally dependent" way of life.  You, as preppers, will probably recognize some of these suggestions because you are already doing these things and have learned to cultivate relationships with your immediate neighbors.

Changing some (all) of your "vertical dependencies" for 'horizontal dependencies" is a large part of being a prepper and the author of this article gives more examples of how to make these changes in your way of living.

Read the article and please do post your comments here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:02:21 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.