Home Page

Thread on Garlic Growing

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Thread on Garlic Growing
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
I found this thread which gives a lot of anecdotal advice on how to grow garlic...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=696410

I agree with one comment about NOT using grocery store garlic cloves to start a plant.  I have had total failure of all cloves purchased from that source.   Look for "seed" garlic in garden stores instead.

If you don't like garlic (then you are also weird), do consider it as a trade good because a lot of other people DO like garlic (me included)...

There are multiple links in the thread to more information about garlic and garlic growing.  Digging is good exercise for your fingers.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Thread on Garlic Growing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
Garlic is really one of the "must have" herb/food. It is really not hard either. I grow a strain of German Porcelain hard neck because it is extremely cold heart, one of the best cooking garlics (even mellow when pickled), excellent root cellar keepers, and give you a bonus crop of garlic scapes for cooking (and garlic dip!).

In the late fall but before the grounds freezes, we select out the biggest cloves of the 4 or 5 cloves in a bulb (and they get very large) and plant deep enough to cover the bulb about 2" below the surface. Then we take a spade with of soil from between the garlic rows, fill with an inch or so of raw chicken manure/ litter and replace the soil. This breaks down over the winter and, by the time the garlic roots expand into that area, won't heart them. Then the whole area is well mulched and left alone until the plants begin to fire. The whole plant is cured for several weeks in the shade then the tops are trimmed and the bulbs hung in mesh bags in the root cellar. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions