Home Page

Make Sure You Include Your Pets In Your Preps

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Make Sure You Include Your Pets In Your Preps
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
Our topic was Make Sure You Include Your Pets In Your Preps.

Here's Your Link:   http://www.nnpg.net/061417_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

NNPG - The Northern Nevada Preppers Group Chat

7:29:58 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
KG7MZO joined the channel
7:42:43 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi Glenda !
7:42:53 PM
KG7MZO
Hello Ken!!
7:56:47 PM
Josh K7ZIM joined the channel
7:57:46 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Evening
7:58:06 PM
KG7MZO
Good Evening Josh
7:58:49 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi Josh!
Tonight's topic is Prepping For Your Pets
7:58:51 PM
TWP joined the channel
7:58:58 PM
TWP
HI all
7:59:01 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi TWP
7:59:58 PM
TWP
Ken thanks for the advance notice on tonights topic
8:00:19 PM
n7sax joined the channel
8:00:34 PM
TWP
I started writing and it got too long to post here, so I put it on the forum
8:00:46 PM
n7sax
good evening all...
8:01:08 PM
TWP
The forum link: http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?topic=1827.0
Hi sax
8:03:36 PM
ka7vll joined the channel
8:03:49 PM
TWP
Hi ka7vil
8:04:16 PM
ka7vll
howdy all
8:06:39 PM
Josh K7ZIM
I dont have pets but this will be good info to have
8:07:04 PM
AI600-Keith joined the channel
8:07:20 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi Ka7vll !
Hi Keith!
8:07:34 PM
TWP
Josh, I don't either but I've had pets in the past
8:07:36 PM
ka7vll
Do spyders count?
8:07:47 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Sure !
8:07:47 PM
AI600-Keith
Hello all.
8:07:53 PM
TWP
vil, only if you know them by first name
Vlad hangs in the top right corner of the bedroom
8:09:33 PM
AI600-Keith
Yes, animals are permitted to be evacuated. Most agencies now make preperations to house animals.
8:09:51 PM
ka7vll
mine move around to much on bug patrol
8:10:09 PM
TWP
Good training counts
8:10:50 PM
AI600-Keith
I am sitting in Dallas on a deployment heading to Anniston Ala.
There were kennels/cages set up at the evacuation center I worked at during Hurricane Ike/
8:12:33 PM
TWP
RE dog packs, there are trailers which can be harnessed to bigger animals
8:13:32 PM
AI600-Keith
Approximately 25-30% of people will not evacuate if they cannot take their animals.
8:13:50 PM
ka7vll
keeping track of animals in an emergency must be a logistics nightmare!
8:14:30 PM
TWP
Much as I dislike chips, they do work for ID
8:14:47 PM
AI600-Keith
It can be and a major concern is exposing animals to diseases from animals not taken care of.
8:14:58 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I chip all our dogs. Cannot think of one bad thing about that.
8:15:01 PM
TWP
Having pictures of you with your pet can help on the id
8:15:22 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Great idea about the pictures, TWP !
8:15:26 PM
TWP
Ken, it's an OPSEC thing. People are next...
8:15:27 PM
KG7MZO
Chipping is the primary way to legally own your dog.
8:15:35 PM
n7sax
Ken, where again please is the old post on pets?
date
8:15:56 PM
Ken K7KBJ
On our forum, last category on the home page
8:16:13 PM
TWP
SAX, forum topic is Prepping for Pets. bottom of the list of forums
8:16:15 PM
Ken K7KBJ
The past radio net was June 17, 2015
8:16:50 PM
AI600-Keith
Pictures and descriptions can be a big help especially if the animals got loose and you are trying to find them/
8:16:57 PM
n7sax
don't see that date
8:17:50 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Does this work? http://nnpg.net/061715_radio.shtml
8:18:30 PM
n7sax
Yes sir, thank you!
8:18:51 PM
Ken K7KBJ
You're welcome !
8:18:52 PM
AI600-Keith
Louisiana bouight thousands of large cages to house animals. So you could put a great dane or a puppy in the cage.
8:19:08 PM
Ken K7KBJ
That's really cool
8:20:04 PM
AI600-Keith
Make sure you have vaccination records, preferably on paper and thumb drive.
8:20:45 PM
TWP
I'll repeat the URL to my forum post on this topic: http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?topic=1827.0
8:21:44 PM
Ken K7KBJ
TWP, post that to my post that I will create tomorrow morning when I post the link to this net.
I think that will be easier for people, keeping things together.
8:22:05 PM
TWP
Ken, will do
The double post won't hurt, it is on-topic for both boards
8:24:38 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I agree
8:29:10 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Jerry is a fount of knowledge!
8:29:26 PM
Ken K7KBJ
He amazes me every time
8:29:35 PM
Josh K7ZIM left the channel (quit)
Josh K7ZIM joined the channel
8:30:22 PM
KG7MZO
Try reading one of his books!
Jerry knows a thing or two
8:30:48 PM
Josh K7ZIM
He has books?
8:31:07 PM
Ken K7KBJ
OMG ! Yes
8:31:07 PM
KG7MZO
He has over 100 published titles
8:31:16 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Google him.
8:31:42 PM
AI600-Keith
in most cases the animals will be housed in the most basic ways. food and water in some type of housing. Vets and vet techs will be at a minimum at best. People may also be limited in how often they can visit their animals at an evacuation center.
8:31:54 PM
KG7MZO
https://www.amazon.com/Jerry-D.-Young/e/B009NMRQ26
8:32:52 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Come to one of our Prepper Barter Events. You will see many of his books and can look them over.
8:33:05 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Holy cow! Nice!
8:33:35 PM
AI600-Keith
Animals are very seldom permitted in the evacuation centers with people, they are usually housed separately.
8:38:24 PM
Ken K7KBJ
So much good info on the net tonight.
If you are not listening, be sure to listen to our webcast.
8:38:46 PM
TWP
Pets are worth it.
8:40:02 PM
n7sax
good night see you soon at Berlin
8:40:10 PM
Ken K7KBJ
good night everyone and thanks for participating !
See ya in Berlin !
8:40:28 PM
ka7vll
bye all
KG7MZO
Great net tonight guys!!
TWP
Glenda, thank you. Good net tonight
8:40:30 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Ok good nite all great net lots of good info
8:41:03 PM
TWP
night all
8:41:07 PM
KG7MZO
Thank you everyone.
8:41:08 PM
Josh K7ZIM left the channel (quit)
TWP left the channel (e96bc647290c1ebf8c947cf3e1d52cecc279e2e2)
8:41:24 PM
KG7MZO
Good night to you all. 73
8:41:45 PM
KG7MZO left the channel (quit)

Powered by The Desire To Be Self Reliant
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Make Sure You Include Your Pets In Your Preps
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
Per Kens request, I'm cross posting this from my original post in the "Prepping for Pets" board:

I intended to post this on the net chat but it got too long as I wrote it.  So here are my thoughts on the subject:

I wrote this offline and it became larger all by itself... honest.

For those who have not already done so, there are many helpful suggestions posted in the NNPG sub-forum: "Prepping for Pets".  You do need to become a member to view the sub-boards (hint).

http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?board=11.0

There are recipes for homemade pet food, backpack designs for pets so they can carry part of their own food and a free PDF download of "What to do when there is no Vet".

In addition, there are discussions and articles about handling more general livestock such as cows, horses etc.

If I had pets (apartment living prevents me), I'd have a pet medical kit as part of my own BOB.  It would include mostly the same kinds of things we need for ourselves, with a set of medicines and anesthetics specific to your pets breed.

With respect to carrying pet foods, if your dog is large enough, there are trailers / carts specifically made to be pulled by dogs.  These are wheeled trailers and, depending on the size of your dog, can carry fairly large weights.  Some training and regular practice is necessary.  Once your pet learns that they are carrying their own food, they are usually willing to do their part of the job.

Another consideration is the type of food your pet is currently getting fed.  Will you (they) be able to carry enough of their food to reach your BOL or to last as long as your human food supplies?  Remember that pets will not like a sudden change in diet, no more than we humans do, so be prepared to have their normal food in stock and ready for bug-out.  If you are currently feeding canned pet foods, consider beginning a gradual change to dry (kibble) type foods.  Dry foods mean less weight and perhaps lower volume too (depends on the type).

Remember that water for pets is just as important as your own water...  Have enough to reach your destination AND a water filter system to replace what you and your pets use.

In the area of skills, if you have some veterinary skills, this could prove as valuable as human medical skills in an EOTW or even a temporary evacuation scenario.

Have some books on veterinary practice, including anesthetizing, surgery, wound repair and disease treatment.

Sources of some books relating to veterinary medicine: NOTE: look for more current editions which may be buried among the lists of older publications.  The problem is finding publications which are not bound by copyright laws.  They are available.

http://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Veterinarian/index.htm

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1403

Finally, I recommend this thread on another forum, about pet bug-out planning:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=385770

Animal Psychology 101:

This point has to do with pack animal psychology.  Almost all animals are part of a group.  That group includes you, if you're lucky.  Within those groups there is usually a hierarchy of dominance, with one animal being "alpha" and frequently there are both a male and female "alpha" in a group.  You may (should) become that "alpha" animal with respect to your "pets".  This is not a case of "I'm the master and you will obey me" but rather "I'm the one who makes the choices for all of us".  This may seem like a narrow distinction, but it is very important to your "pets" who don't like 'bossy" people any more than you do.

For the safety of yourself, your family and your "pets" it is important that you become "The one who is in charge".  This avoids facing a stubborn animal in a crisis where you need to have your attention elsewhere.  It also means that a traumatized animal will look to you for help and allow you to treat them.

Cat Servant Training 201:

A word of advice from a cat person.  Cats are pack (pride) animals too, but also noted for their independent nature.  Non-cat people will see this as a negative: cats are aloof, stubborn and disobedient.  That is not the real mindset of cats.  They look to their "alpha" males and females for guidance and reassurance just as children look to parents for solace and advice.

With cats, the key is to not allow them to exclude you from their pack.  If you identify the "alpha" male and/or female, you must let them know that you will be giving the directions, the other cats in the pack (pride) will follow the alphas and acknowledge your position.

Being cats, you cannot exert dominance by force (it is called a "pride" for good reason), you must sometimes bribe them with love and food.  My pride of cats grew up with me.  I was there at the birth of all but the original female, who found me first... I was selected and not elected...

My point about cats has to do with their part in a prepper group.  They have their jobs and can do them well (think; comforting you and your human group, guarding your homestead from rodents and even much larger animals, mine would take down rabbits in a heartbeat).

If you're not a cat person, sorry, you have lost valuable members of your group from the start.  Try it with dogs, they are much less particular about who they call friends.  If you still want cats, please submit your resume to the local Union Of Feline Solidarity and don't be offended if you get snubbed on the first several attempts...  It will help if you claim to have worked with cats in the past and do cite your qualifications as a servant.

As an aside, dogs and cats can live together peacefully.  They do need to grow up together for this to happen...  It's up to you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Make Sure You Include Your Pets In Your Preps
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »
Thanks Ken.

And thank you all for the kind words and the book references.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)