Home Page

Working with a recalcitrant "spousal unit"

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Working with a recalcitrant "spousal unit"
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
Some of us may know the reference, if not then follow the Urban Dictionary link.

I use the word "recalcitrant" in lieu of terms like: Scared to death, unwilling to look at news reports, refuses to acknowledge that a problem exists, etc.  I think you all may know this personality trait.

For these people, this response letter gives some good advice on working toward the prepper mindset, without pushing away the person-who-matters in your life.

https://survivalblog.com/letter-re-sad-silent-prepper-2/

Saying "I told you so", after the fact, is counter productive.  Particularly when the "fact" may be a SHTF event which might leave your significant other as a complete "basket case".

The six points listed at the bottom of the letter are appropriate even when both parties are in total agreement about prepping... ;D

I am reminded of the saying: "You can lead a cow to water, but you can't make them drink"...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Working with a recalcitrant "spousal unit"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
I do not suppose the old adage of getting a mule to do what you want is to hit it between the eyes with a 2x4 applies here?

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »
I do not suppose the old adage of getting a mule to do what you want is to hit it between the eyes with a 2x4 applies here?

Not if one wishes to remain a "spouse"... ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
TWP,
I live in the Chicago Illinois area (not in Chicago now) but still Cook County. 
Would I leave here? In a heart beat, but my wife never will.
I prep for many things, don't have a lot of space, and it all has to be out of sight.

My wife believes in the government.  A liberal (did not act that way before we were married), worse yet my MIL has moved in with us.
If possible, she is even far beyond my wife.  Their statement is, nothing like that can ever happen here!

Will it ever change, not until it is to late.

One saving grace, my youngest son is a Boy Scout.  So I can label things for Scouting and justify it that way.
Wildness Survival, Emergency Preparedness two really great merit badges! (Son already has the first, will get the second this year.)
Our Troop camps once a month, a great way to test out camping products.

So like others in the same boat, I do what I can. 
Unless something happens it will not change, and then only for that one specific event.

Now Jerry's idea about the 2X4 with my MIL I like.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
owldancer,

I like your "work around" solution.  I think I can find an old Scout uniform and some badges...

Hey, it might even work... ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions