Home Page

The Day After - 1983 TV Movie

The Day After - 1983 TV Movie
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Based in Lawrence, Kansas, this is a movie depicting the full-scale nuclear exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union.  The full movie is available on youtube.  Follow the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif-5cKg1Yo
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Keep calm and PREP on!

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The Day After - 1983 TV Movie
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
I was so looking forward to this movie when it was in post production and the schedule was announced. Boy, was I disappointed. I am not saying not to watch it. It is well worth the time. But do not expect to learn how to survive. The producers and directors made it abundantly clear that "The survivors of a nuclear war would envy the dead." It was an anti-nuclear weapons propaganda movie from the get go.

Pretty much every person that had a reasonable chance to survive, and even help other people, simply threw those chances away out of what I call the attitude of nuclear war induced despair. That, hey, it is nuclear war. We do not deserve to live since we let a nuclear war happen. They did things so obviously not wise that it was painful to watch at times.

But as an historical footnote of the anti nuclear/anti war fervor of the time, and a really impressive set of negative lessons, with virtually no redeeming positive ones, it is a good watch. The special effects at the time were well done, and the movie was quite well made, with a good budget. But that is to be expected with the people involved in the anti nuke movement at the time.

Do watch it. But, as preppers, be prepared to be more than a bit annoyed at times as you do.

Just my reserved opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: The Day After - 1983 TV Movie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »
Was a bit disappointed in the movie myself, but then the majority of the people in it were civilians and had no idea on what was going to happen. As to the AF guys at the missile silo, the producers didn't know (or care) that EVERY truck that goes to check these sites have survival equipment in the trucks because more than once, they've gotten stuck in deep snow/snow storms and would literally just wait in the truck until weather cleared/help came.

Knew a lady truck driver who was passing thru Wyoming or Montana during a heavy snow storm with 5 other drivers behind her, creeping down the road. Got so bad, she said she was stopping where she was and everyone did the same. Next morning, when weather cleared up, found they had actually gone off the road for about 30 feet!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions