Home Page

Local Bacon Prices?

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Local Bacon Prices?
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
I'm following a story about higher bacon prices in the near future...

I know what the local Safeway(r), Food Source(r), Smiths(r), etc. are charging, but I'd like some feedback on what is available from other (local) sources.

Anyone want to comment?  Does anyone know a good local butcher shop that they could recommend?

Looking at "online" prices, it is nothing short of robbery, really.  Would you pay $25 per pound, or more?   :o

I'm in the Reno, NV area, so out-of-town prices don't really meet my need. ;D

You're still welcome to quote prices in your area, if nothing else it will give us all an idea on how the market is across the country.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline xoruss

Re: Local Bacon Prices?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
Price Chopper, one of the local area food stores, has 2 16oz packages of bacon for $5 in this week's ad.The ad doesn't mention any limits on purchases.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:54 AM »
Just for information, Price Chopper is a US east coast chain store.  And that is a good price on Bacon.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline xoruss

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:21:12 AM »
  I never knew Price Chopper existed outside of Missouri and never cared enough to research anything but their ads. I was raised in the prk and lived about 34 years in Utah, but Missouri is the first place I have seen this chain of stores.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
I wonder if a "Bacon Price Index" would make as good an indicator as Gold and Silver spot prices?  Maybe better, as far as showing the trend in commodities.

I would need more reporting stations, spread across the whole country...

Anybody else have local Bacon prices to share?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clay

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »
I'm headed to the store next week to pick up some more, I'll report back after I've re-stocked.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
Meat sale this week at Festival Foods: bulk bacon is 10 lb box for $22.99. These will be irregular preces, however, in case your OCD can't handle that.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
 bulk discount store in Maine

3 pounds store brand for 10.99
36 ounces of national brand 14.99

boneless skinless chicken breast $1.69 lb
whole porkloin $1.169 LB
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Meat sale this week at Festival Foods: bulk bacon is 10 lb box for $22.99. These will be irregular preces, however, in case your OCD can't handle that.

I think I can handle chunky Bacon, but it's still a laugh when I meet people who have OCD reactions to stuff.

Good price on bulk buys.  It is a chance to do some meat canning.

What part of the country (North, South, East, West) is served by Festival Foods?  You don't need to get more specific than that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
Upper midwest 

The nice thing about bacon is that it works as a condiment using small amounts to flavor main dishes.  Cabbage, bacon and noodles is one of my wife's favorite go to's. In a SHTF situation, I doubt that we will sit down to a big roast. more likely, it will be cut into small pieces and mixed into dishes. The oriental cooking is based on something this. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:24:13 PM by 230gr »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
I wonder if a "Bacon Price Index" would make as good an indicator as Gold and Silver spot prices?  Maybe better, as far as showing the trend in commodities.

I would need more reporting stations, spread across the whole country...

Anybody else have local Bacon prices to share?

AKA - pork belly's
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
Wolfbrother,

There's the trading commodity, called Pork Bellies, and the consumer product, Bacon.

The commodity price is pretty much controlled at the level of the commodity exchanges while Bacon prices are more of a local marketing tool to draw customers.

I acknowledge that the availability of Pork Bellies is a factor in final Bacon price.

I'd like to know how that local Bacon price is changing in various parts of the US.

If local prices start rising or falling, I would look for a cause and effect relationship with whatever drives the change.

Some factors are fuel cost, seasonal preferences, over stock and never forget greed.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
I was sent this article this AM . Brings up two points.

Bacon Shortage
So America's "stash" as they call it, of bacon has gone from 62 million pounds to 17.8 million pounds (some reports claim 17.7 million pounds) in just one year? That is quite a decrease. Even more shocking than the decrease of supply is the reason they are giving for it. They are claiming it is because "America, and the world, has been pigging out. Bacon consumption has risen so fast, it's been impossible for farmers to keep pace with demand."

Comments by takingmyownpath
Interesting question about the bacon. We raise heritage pigs and we have 10 week old piglets listed for sale for $25 right now and we haven't gotten a single call on them. Last year, we sold them like hot cakes for $75 each at 6 weeks old. You almost can't give them away. I know some folks who've been trying that with no luck. It's not just us, it's all over the place in these areas. I know that they were putting down hundreds of thousands of pigs in the factory farms because of disease, but you would think that would drive the price of pigs up not down. Maybe we're seeing some artificial manipulation in the markets??

http://allnewspipeline.com/Worldwide_Food_Shortages.php
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline xoruss

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »
   I wish I had saved a story I read within the past two weeks. It maintained the "shortage" is manufactured to help drive up prices.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
It is cheaper to buy the pork products I want then the cost raise and process the animal.  The only reason to raise your own pigs is you want to control what you feed them or you enjoy doing it.  There is a lively market for organic or all natural pasture raised pork in my area.  Piglets are still bringing over $100 each in this area but market has been softening.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions