Home Page

Hiding Your Preps In Plain Sight Was The Topic Of Our Discuss

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Hiding Your Preps In Plain Sight Was The Topic Of Our Discuss
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
Hiding Your Preps In Plain Sight Was The Topic Of Our Discussion

Here's your link:  http://www.nnpg.net/102418_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript

7:48:52 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
Josh k7zim joined the channel
7:56:43 PM
Josh k7zim
Hi ken
7:58:11 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda joined the channel
AC1BN - Fred joined the channel
7:58:43 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good evening
7:58:56 PM
Josh k7zim
Hi glenda and fred
7:59:11 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Yay, I'm not all by myself in here
7:59:11 PM
AC1BN - Fred
hI gLENDA & jOSH
7:59:15 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi everyone!
Tonight we are talking about hiding your preps in plain sight
7:59:39 PM
AC1BN - Fred
Hi Ken
7:59:53 PM
Josh k7zim
Sorry guys its been utter chaos at work lately
8:00:07 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
glad you could make it tonight josh
8:00:43 PM
Josh k7zim
Glad to be able to, glenda. Lol
8:02:32 PM
N7SAX joined the channel
8:02:48 PM
N7SAX
Good Evening all
8:03:04 PM
Josh k7zim
Evening sax
8:03:32 PM
N7SAX
Hi Josh
8:08:25 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
8:08:37 PM
Josh k7zim
8:09:07 PM
AC1BN - Fred
8:09:30 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi SAX
8:10:28 PM
N7SAX
Hi Ken
8:10:35 PM
Josh k7zim
I have stuff stashed all over the appartment really. Not much room so under beds and closets really. I ise a filing cabinet fr my reloading stuff.
Ya i got kerosene lamps out in sight too.
8:14:21 PM
N7SAX
Is it smart to broadcast "hiding places"
8:14:47 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Just not your favorite places !
And, this is to hide your stuff from the huge part of the population that does not prep, does not care to prep, does not listen to these nets and is probably high right now.
8:16:21 PM
Josh k7zim
Lmao!
8:16:52 PM
N7SAX
agreed
8:18:56 PM
Josh k7zim
8:19:03 PM
Ken K7KBJ
8:19:02 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
8:22:28 PM
N7SAX
Pursuant to Rob's talk - do not advertise
Skip the decals on your car
8:24:55 PM
Josh k7zim
I agree.
8:33:36 PM
Ken K7KBJ
8:35:52 PM
Josh k7zim
8:35:57 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
8:36:10 PM
N7SAX
Even a Call Sign license plate is something that might "advertise"
8:36:11 PM
AC1BN - Fred
8:37:09 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I bet Jerry would've had some super secret covert hidden ideas
8:37:16 PM
Josh k7zim
Right!
8:37:31 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Jerry's whole body is a hiding place !
HAHAHAHAHA
8:37:45 PM
Josh k7zim
Ha!
8:38:40 PM
N7SAX
I suppose if your vehicle has a "tell-tale" antenna then you might as well have a call sign license plate...
8:38:52 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Jerry makes me think about Bullwinkle pulling the lion's head out of a hat.
8:40:10 PM
Josh k7zim
Thanks ken and everyone else too! Great net! You all have a good week!
8:40:11 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good net
Thanks guys!
8:40:17 PM
N7SAX
good night
8:40:21 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Nice!
Good night all
8:40:28 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
seventy-three everyone
8:40:41 PM
Ken K7KBJ
HAHAHAHA
Love that
8:40:57 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
just for you baby
8:41:00 PM
AC1BN - Fred left the channel (quit)
Josh k7zim left the channel (timeout)
8:41:33 PM
Ken K7KBJ
See ya
8:41:53 PM
Ken K7KBJ left the channel

Powered by The Desire To Be Self Reliant
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hiding Your Preps In Plain Sight Was The Topic Of Our Discuss
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »

Sorry I could not be on last night. I just was not up to it. I have an infection in my upper left gum and am having a hard time controlling it with homeopathic treatments. More extra pain that gets worse if I talk. And you know I am not going to not talk if I am listening.

So, here are some of the things I do relating to hiding preps in plain site:

1) I did away with my bed frame and use 20 Rubber Maid Action Packer 8-gallon totes in two rows of five side-by-side two high. They are covered with a simple throw and my twin size mattress is on top. Unless one knows to look, there is nothing to bring any special attention to them. While the Action Packers have worked very well for this, I am finding that as time passes, they are beginning to sort of deform just a bit, creating some trouble with the lids latching properly. This could be in part because I got into the (bad) habit of not latching the lids, just setting them on the tote and stacking the second row on top.

2) In a like manner I do the same thing with more of the 8-gallon, as well as a few of the 24-gallon Action Packers, using them as side tables to my recliner. As the lids have a bit of a pattern on top so they nest well, I put a piece of plastic cardboard cut to size on the lid before placing a cloth cover over them so I have a smooth surface.

3) I use MTM Ammo Boxes and MTM Ammo Crates in similar fashion.

4) As my Action Packers age and continue to deteriorate under the strain I inflict on them, I am adding Plano Storage Crates to my storage supplies. They are more stout, have straighter sides, nest better, and seal better. And a Cabela's version uses an O-ring seal in the lid for even better water resistance. The Action Packers will be rotated into deep storage where it will have much less stress and strain, with the Plano crates used for the heavier duty needs.

5) Many of my preps are essentially every day items, and as long as they are not being shown in a way that empathizes the prepping aspect of the item, they are just another everyday item.

6)  As others have stated, I avoid the use of emblems, bumper stickers, AM/FM antenna decorations, window decals and such that are in any way suggestive of prepping, of having items that might be useful in an emergency, or that can be used by civil authorities to suggest I am 'inclined to, want to, hope for', or in some other way generally inclined to use violence in some way in response to anything that I can to justify that use in my mind even if 'reasonable' people would not do so. Such as: Insured By Smith & Wesson. Go Ahead and Make My Day. And there are many others that will cast a person in a bad light if they must defend themselves in today's society.

7) While I will not use clandestine methods to break the law under ordinary conditions, I just might, under certain circumstances, walk the edge in order to have something with me useful in a prepping situation that I would otherwise never do. I will not mention the methods here, but anyone interested can PM me and I will discuss the subject in e-mails.

8) One of my main methods of having preps hidden in plain sight is to simply have and use common items in ways that the overwhelming majority of people would never think of as being useful. One is something I have mentioned before. The use of a safety or side cutting can opener to create very useful containers out of basic metallic cans that leave a smooth edge on both the can and the lid, which allows the reuse of the lid for storage of the original contents for a day or two if food, and much longer if used for non edibles. There are many more, and like the clandestine methodologies mentioned above, I will not discuss them in the open forum, but if anyone would like more information just contact me by PM and we can go to an e-mail conversation.

9) Similar to a couple of the other methods, or variations thereof, are my use of common items for uncommon tasks. By adding a small 2x to 4x Fresnel lens to my pocket notebook I not only can read things that just happen to be in smaller print, but create some things intentionally using a very fine print so people will not be able to read them without good magnification, but also start a fire using the sun. And do a couple of other useful things, too. In a like manner, I carry a small pill bottle for my daily medications just like many others do. But in addition to the daily meds I might add a tightly folded one-dollar or two-dollar bill, as well (if you get my drift).

10) Probably my most useful method of hiding things in plain sight is simply thinking outside the box, and then looking at an idea from several angles. In ways that you know other, specific, people tend to see things.

I have many additional ideas that simply not coming to me at the moment. So, if you have any questions about something specific just ask, as it might trigger a memory.

I do not advocate doing anything illegal anytime that the rule of law is in effect, and not at any other time either, as a matter of fact.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
Outstanding Jerry !
Thanks for the additional information.
Feel better soon !

Ken
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:31:55 PM by Ken K7KBJ »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
Jerry,

Are you using the Plano Trunks or what from their product line?

Have you seen this product line?  https://store.tacticalwalls.com/all-tables-c47.aspx

I also saw a design where an AR was hidden on the underside of a coffee table. 
Looked perfectly normal until one released the panel under the table to expose the AR.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »

Plano's 56-quart Small Storage Tub:
https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=plano%2Bstorage%2Btub&CQ_view=list&CQ_ztype=GNP&CQ_pagesize=75
The version I got some time ago was their green color, and had a O-ring. The listing here is for a black one, without an O-ring. Picked up some at Sportsman's Warehouse, but they did not have the O-ring seal at that time.

There are quite a few more options available from various sources now than their used to be.

I have looked at quite a few of the hide-away and concealment units for various applications. There are a bunch of real fly-by-night companies out there jumping on the band wagon. Some have nice designs and/or features, but the construction is often shabby, and some that look very well done are actually made of cheap materials. My main concern on several of them is the latching system, along with the position of the items inside when the unit is open. Some of the drop downs just dump everything and if you are not prepared to catch what you need, down it goes. All sorts of problems with the poorly designed and poorly constructed ones.

The good ones, however, though expensive, work very, very well, with good latches, and good positioning restraints inside that will hold what you want, in a position you can easily grasp it and pull it free without fumbling, making a great deal of noise, and reclose it.

I believe it is important to be able to reclose something like that because if you can access it without being seen or heard, and if someone is 'there' and looks around, they will not know where your weapon (or gold or silver or whatever) came from. That can be very important in future events. It is also helpful if there are children or people prone to explore and investigate.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)