Home Page

“Lights Out” BY Ted Koppel

Offline 230gr

“Lights Out” BY Ted Koppel
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
I just finished reading “Lights Out” BY Ted Koppel and am more convinced than ever that the electrical grid will be the first strike target. While it could be an EMP strike or even a natural CME, the most subtle attack would be a cyber attack. It could be just as destructive to the power plants and especially the big transformer complexes. With a 1 to 2 year build time and, with hundreds to replace, it could easily be 10 to 15 years to replace them maybe longer depending on your place in the line. One thing that I did not realize is that the big ones need to be delivered by special RR cars of we have about 12 of in the whole country. Additionally, most of tracks that originally were built to bring these cars to the plants have long since been removed and the land put to other uses. If the governments estimate of 10 of millions dyeing in the first few months (from Kopple’s investigation it is in spades!) the country will be in absolute turmoil and very venerable to foreign attack (or further attack). Cyber attack can be very difficult to trace back to the real culprit too.

Though you will be waiting in a sea of interviews and researched facts, it is a worthwhile read.         
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: “Lights Out” BY Ted Koppel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I see two things which can/should be done...

1)  Immediately begin EMP and cyber proofing the power system (very low chance of this happening).

2) Prep for such an event at an individual and group level.  (100% chance of this happening...)

A more remote option is to apply pressure to your local and federal representatives to take action on this.

Unfortunately, the incentive, on the part of politicians, to address this is small.

It would be a good way to stimulate the economy if money (tax dollars) were thrown at implementing a solution, but we are still looking at years of "research" (can you say boondoggle?) before actual work might begin.

Perhaps a private enterprise might be convinced to work on this, similar to the changes in the space program, but we're still talking years.

So, Prep for it:

If you plan on having electrical power, for anything, then invest in EMP proof generation systems (solar, wind, hydro, hydrocarbon, etc.).   Not just buying such systems for your homestead/BOL, but engineering them for EMP resistance.

Needless to say, your home power systems need to be isolated from the Internet or they become vulnerable to cyber attack just like the public systems.

Fallback plans need to include living without electrical power for extended periods.  Caches of generating equipment which are only intended for use AFTER the public system might go down.  EMP proof caching of course.

What are YOUR (all who read this) plans with respect to this scenario?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
The fact that some of those in the industy are aware of the dangers and working on solutions is a good thing. There have even been some 'hardening' efforts done, and quite a bit of planning to deal with an event when it occurs. Ways to minimize the damage and plans to use work arounds to keep power flowing.

While this is all good, things could be much better, so I am doing my own planning and 'hardening' things as I can. Have some back up laptops encased in bubble wrap and aluminum foil. Have a Faraday bag to protect a couple of important radios. Make sure the other electronics have protected replacements or positioned and used in a manner that reduces the risk of an EMP damaging them.

However, the electronics are a relatively minor aspect of what will occur in an EMP event. The loss of the grid and electrical power will be the huge problem and wind up causing the destruction of property and loss of life. Not so much directly, such as life maintenance medical gear not working, but because of what people will do when things change so drastically and they have no way to cope with the resulting conditions.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »
Anything tied into the grid is very vulnerable to the EMP, CME & Cyber attacks. Stand alones are less so anything electrical running or unshielded could be taken out buy enhanced EMP or very powerful CME. We plan to live without most electrical powered equipment for 4 to 6 months if the US is attacked (Cyber or EMP) as secondary even tertiary EMP attacks designed to take our backup systems are likely.     

We never had the money to have extensive electrical back up but we do have some. We do have non-electrical fall backs for heat, water, cooking, food preservation (dehydrating, canning, cold room, ice box), and some light (candle & Kerosene). We do have a steam boiler (which also works for an outside water heater for washing and summer bathing etc).

Except for light, this could allow us to survive for years without outside electricity. Then it is pretty much to bed with the sun like humans have done for most of their existence.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »
Think in terms of what it would mean for those who live in all-electric houses. The biggest obstacle would be the lack of heat. That alone could mean the deaths of millions were it to happen in the midst of a harsh winter.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Most modern gas and oil furnaces will not run without electric eather. The winter cold would kill scores of millions would free to death and not only in the towns and cities.

I knew a farm family that had a low pressure gas well on their farm; free heat indefinitely but the furnace needed electricity. Too many fireplaces with no real source of fuel out there even in the country. I am not optimistic about the survival of non-preppers.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
Think in terms of what it would mean for those who live in all-electric houses. The biggest obstacle would be the lack of heat. That alone could mean the deaths of millions were it to happen in the midst of a harsh winter.

RR

So, what can be done to address this vulnerability?

Alternative heating options, thermal insulation, clothing, alternate cooking methods (solar ovens, non-cook food stores) and finally, wait for it.... preparation before the need.

Yes, many will fail to do anything and become part of the problem.

So we work to get a few more people prepping...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
So, what can be done to address this vulnerability?

Alternative heating options, thermal insulation, clothing, alternate cooking methods (solar ovens, non-cook food stores) and finally, wait for it.... preparation before the need.

Yes, many will fail to do anything and become part of the problem.

So we work to get a few more people prepping...

As you say, prep. Plan ahead and don't take for granted the modern utilities we have now. Anyone with all electric heat who does not have a decent mid-term means of heating their abode pretty much deserves what they get. Lack of AC can cause the death of a lot of COPD patients who don't even otherwise require continuous oxygen. Lack of heat in sub-zero temps can kill anyone who doesn't wear furs and live in an igloo.

Was watching Science Channel last night and they were saying how the Earth gets hit by somewhere around 150 CMEs a year, but they are small and at worst only cause localized problems. The famous Carrington event was an example of one large enough to be noticed by our fledgling electrical system. It is the BIG one - which the sun is well capable of - ejected at just the right time when the Earth is in its path - that will knock us back to the mid-1800's, industrially and population-wise.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
While I not have much in the way of humanitarian aid products to hand out, though I do have some. But, more importantly, I think, are the instruction sheets I have printed up, to be given to those that are asking for help (nicely), so they can do what is necessary to take care of themselves and their families, for at least the immediate and early intermediate timeframe.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)