Home Page

Replantable Vegetables

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Replantable Vegetables
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
A good list of vegetables which can be replanted for continued production.

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/foods-you-can-regrow/

I cannot guarantee that all of these will work for you, but DO NOTE two factors in favor of this method of plant propagation:

1)  You don't need to maintain the plant to the seeding stage.  Some of these plants don't produce seeds until the SECOND season.

2)  The plants will grow to harvest stage faster than starting from seed.

Some disadvantages: 

you need a lot of sprouting space if you expect to produce a useful quantity of vegetables.

Careful attention must be paid to keep the plants in the correct water level.  You cannot just walk away and expect them to grow on their own.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Replantable Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Excellent! Definitely a keeper, as are many of these posts. Thank you, TWP.

By the way, has anyone ever used sweet potatoes in soup, the same way red and white potatoes are used?

Would they tend to go mushy? Faster than regular potatoes? And how would they affect the taste of soup. Regular potatoes do not add that much flavor.

Just curious, since my three main soup ingredients, besides meat, are onions, carrots, and potatoes.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Jerry,  Sweep potatoes go well in soup and, well, they add sweetness.

They do tend to cook more rapidly than white potatoes and will go to mush.  I put them in about 15 minutes before the soup is ready to serve.  You can test them with a fork and cook longer if needed.  Mushy is good too, so it doesn't spoil the soup.

Sweet potatoes are also good baked with beef.

There are some (many) spices which blend well with sweet potatoes and I like molasses (or just brown sugar).

There are a bunch of recipes online "sweet potato soup" will give you an example.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »

The Carrot top regrowth is something I can appreciate as it allows an Root Cellar over winter carrot to be eaten and yet regrown top can be used to produce seeds.

For us, Winter Squash is easier to grow and we use it in place of sweet potatoes. One like Butternut is a bit too sweet in soup & stew for my taste but Hopi is more savory than sweet (until it is instorage 4 or so months). But it cooks like Sweet Potatoes and easily goes soft.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions