Home Page

Recipe - Herbal Coffee Substitute

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Recipe - Herbal Coffee Substitute
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Simple three part recipe.

You may not be able grow all of these in your climate, but they can be stockpiled... Just in case.

http://thehomesteadinghippy.com/recipe/herbal-coffee-substitute/

The recipe:

important] Ingredients

1/2 cup dried chicory
1/2 cup dried dandelion root
1/2  cup barley

Instructions
          Measure ingredients into a bowl.       
  •   A 1/4 cup at a time, coarsely grind with a coffee grinder.       
  •   Place ground herbal coffee substitute a quart sized mason jar with a tight fitting lid.       
  •   To enjoy, add 1 Tablespoon in 8 ounces boiling water. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.       
  •   Strain, sweeten to taste and enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:15:53 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Recipe - Herbal Coffee Substitute
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »

I am fond of New Orleans style coffee which is a blend of roasted Arabica coffee and chicory but never knew the blend ratio to make my own. How much chicory goes in the cup when you brew it yourself? Apparently it depends! 

Buying canned or bagged coffee and chicory blends has gotten expensive especially because of the high shipping/handling costs.  I can buy roasted chicory inexpensively (or make it for free!) but was not sure of the proportion of roasted chicory to use per cup of coffee. Formula seems to vary, so you're going to have to experiment.

Sharon Stallworth Nossiter's "New Orleans Cuisine: Fourteen Signature Dishes and Their Histories" recommends no more than 10 percent chicory for cafe brulot but for cafe au lait 20 percent. Some home blenders simply recommend one part chicory to three parts coffee. You might want to acclimate yourself to the tastes of chicory gradually before you go 100%.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions