Home Page

Product Flops and Heirloom Seeds

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Product Flops and Heirloom Seeds
« on: August 27, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We talked about Product Flops and Heirloom Seeds.

Here's your link:  http://www.nnpg.net/082620_radio.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Product Flops and Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
Thank you, Ken.

I attached one of my articles on seeds in the general section gardening and farming section, as I mentioned during the net.

I decided to put it in the appropriate section after I went to post it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:59:36 PM by Jerry D Young »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Product Flops and Heirloom Seeds
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
I forgot to mention the product disappointments that I brought up.

The Baofeng radios, while I, and a couple other people I know, have had serious problems with them, each of the incidents were radios that were used a great deal, often with long transmit times. The radios are not heavy-duty, constant-duty radios, and are not advertised or sold as such. When used occasionally, for fairly short conversations, they do hold up fairly well.

There have been some cases of a person simply getting a lemon, but considering the source I suppose that is to be expected. They were all quickly replaced with no problems I understand.

Another product, that I do not think I mentioned (but may have) is Wet Fire Tinder cubes. While I found these very effective when fresh, as they aged they became less and less effective. To the point where even if I broke them up and used a Bic lighter and held the flame on them they failed to ignite. I am getting rid of all of them. I use a couple every time I go camping or just out into the field, just to check. I am now having a 100% failure rate and still have a dozen or more in my stockpiles.

I quit depending on them when I first discovered the problem several years ago. (I did contact the company and gave them my results.) I immediately swapped the Wet Fire out all of my kits and put in something else. Usually fatwood. And now I include Lightning Strike Napalm tinder in the kits.

Yet another product I was very disappointed in is Wise Foods. They were significantly cheaper than the other LTS (long term storage) foods from other companies. However, most of the foods were in 4-serving pouches, there was little if any meat, and not all that much TVP. And the claims for long storage life turned out to be totally false. Not to mention, only one product out of six that were in the sample pack I ordered did I even come close to liking. Though Wise claims to, and has to a small degree, corrected a couple of the problems, they are still a product I will not purchase, use, or recommend.

In light of some of the things that have happened recently, are happening now, are very likely to happen in the future, I have decided to forgo listing those few thing I mentioned I would list here, but not on the air. They are too controversial even for the forum. Besides, they are just my opinions, and like the Baofeng radios, my experiences are different from others and for these subjects they really are just opinions and there is no need for me to air them.

And of course, everything else is also:

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)