Home Page

Are You Prepared To Lose All Of Your Preps?

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Are You Prepared To Lose All Of Your Preps?
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We asked the question, Are You Prepared To Lose All Of Your Preps?

Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/083017_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

NNPG - The Northern Nevada Preppers Group Chat

7:37:03 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
7:36:43 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Tonight's Topic, Are You Prepared To Lose All Of Your Preps?
7:42:31 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda joined the channel
TWP joined the channel
7:49:38 PM
TWP
Hi Ken, Hi Glenda
7:57:51 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi TWP
8:10:28 PM
AI6OO-KEITH joined the channel
8:10:52 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good evening gentlemen.
Good to see you Keith. Where are you?
8:11:10 PM
TWP
For us, if we could not get any of our home preps, I've cached as few small items, water and pocket tools. Certainly not enough for a decent shelter.
Hi Keith
8:11:56 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Hello all
8:12:00 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi Keith
8:13:06 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
I am not too big of fan of caches. Tough to locate sites and limited in what you can store.
8:13:47 PM
TWP
Keith an alternative is to have some gear at a friends location
8:14:53 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Yep that is a way.
8:16:18 PM
Ken K7KBJ
What I presented on the net is:
Since Glenda presented this topic to me I have thought about it a lot. I don't have a collection of cashes spread all over nor do I have more than one bug out location. Losing all that I have put aside, built or otherwise would be quite an issue for me. It seems I have some work ahead of me now that Glenda made me think about it. I have a short list of what could help... 1. Get in the best possible shape, physically and mentally because if you lose everything, all you will have left is your life. 2. Know where to go if all else fails and you have to go to a government facility. 3. Find some way to get a spare radio stored that can survive pretty much anything. 4. Put some water or a few life straws with that radio. 5. Make some really good friends. You will need them and they will need you. Those are just a few thoughts I came up with today and I'm really looking forward to what others have to say or what might be posted on our forum later on.
8:18:05 PM
TWP
One problem is one of my caches is in the river flood plane. It needs to move.
8:18:46 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Yep, a large earthquake could possibly cause the river to flood.
8:19:58 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Probably many of us think we do a pretty good job of prepping, but the question is how you are prepared to lose everything. This goes back to lone wolf or group prepping. Group prepping allows different people to have some of the same things and thus if one loses all people can hook up with others . Remember even if you lose things all of us have knowledge in our heads so we are always valuable to a group.
8:20:11 PM
TWP
We've had two significant floods since I moved here, caused by snow melt
8:22:09 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
If we have a really big earthquake being in the feather river canyon caches may be impossible to find under tons of granite. And the "big one" is coming.
8:23:16 PM
TWP
Keith, Cali has it's own set of risks...
8:24:10 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Yep, we is "special".
8:25:52 PM
TWP
In the event that we lose "everything" and are forced to rely only on our skill set(s). I would probably try to get away from town and make shelter. I'm not a fan of going to the various social services offered by the city and state.
Keith, put your caches on the hill tops and not under the cliffs. I've traveled the Feather and it is steep and rocky.
8:27:58 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
I agree, get away from the majority of people. Only have to be separated for a short while. Mortality estimates for an EMP attack is 90% of the population will be dead within one year.
8:29:41 PM
TWP
I have a paranoia about refugee crowds and my plans take me away from them.
8:30:06 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Good paranoia to have
8:30:57 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Time for chores !
Good night !
Thanks Glenda ! You ROK
8:31:15 PM
TWP
Technically I do have a backup with friends, but they are hundreds of miles away and it would be a long trip.
8:31:43 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Need some closer.
8:31:46 PM
TWP
Quick net tonight but good inifo
Thanks all
8:32:09 PM
AI6OO-KEITH
Well time to put the goats and chickens to bed. Good night
8:32:17 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good net tonight gentlemen
8:32:28 PM
TWP
night Glenda, thanks
8:32:43 PM
AI6OO-KEITH left the channel (quit)
TWP left the channel (7639499a06b85c03f042c29537d79b01a97fe9ed)
8:32:57 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Thanks!
Good night
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Are You Prepared To Lose All Of Your Preps?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Again, finally able to get on-line with enough time to actually post something.

I was listening at the start of the net, and tried to sign in, but apparently when I tried to program my radio when I was in Winnemucca to get on the net while on my trip, I messed up the programming for here in Reno. I could hear, but could not be heard. So here are my thoughts on the subject.

While losing all of my preps at home, in my vehicle, and at my primary BOL, or not having access to them, is extremely unlikely, I do have other options.

I have several sites where I have supplies and gear, well away from the primary places. I feel like I would be able to get to at least one of them and recover what I need. Plus there are caches (pronounced 'cashes' in this context, with 'cash-ayes' being the packets of herbs or what not, used for keeping things nice smelling) in several additional locations, with at least one or more being available unless the entire local area in a 100 mile radius is destroyed or off-limits to me, so I could still have what I need to survive and get to a location where I can be secure and start over.

Another thing about caches, is how one defines them. Not all are small containers such as buckets or pipes (even 55-gallon drums) buried in the ground nearby or in nearly inaccessible areas or areas that might become inaccessible due to the event. My supplies in rental storage rooms are caches. They can (and in a couple cases do) have a large amount of gear and supplies of many types.

Items that I have stored at other people's locations are also caches. Though I do not have any here in this area, when I was in Southeast Missouri several of my caches were aerial caches, up in a tree in once case, down in a cavity near the top; one in the attic of a building to which I had access; and one small one hung on the side of a pole on which cablevision cables were strung. I also had one water tight cache weighted down in a pond on property a friend of mine owned (without his knowledge of just where it was).

Now, to stay more closely with the net scenario, assuming I cannot access any of my prepping supplies and must make do with what I have on me at the time, things are much more difficult. However, as many that know me are aware, I have a pretty comprehensive set of EDC. More so when I have the least expectation of any type of trouble.

With my EDC, especially in the fall, winter, and spring seasons, I would be able to take care of myself adequately, obtain and purify water, obtain and prepare food, have shelter, be able to signal for help if required, be able to go very low profile if needed, protect myself, and communicate to a degree. Travel would be somewhat limited if everyone has lost everything, but if not, I would have a few things that would allow me to make arrangements to get help or items from individuals that do still have them.

So, while it would be very difficult in some scenarios, I certainly do not consider the scenario as one where I am doomed.

I have included 'My Thoughts On Caches' article for reference. It is primarily about smaller buried caches, but includes information on other options, as well.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)