Home Page

Your Bug out Plan Transportation Options

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Your Bug out Plan Transportation Options
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We discussed Your Bug out Plan Transportation Options.

Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/081617_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

7:58:07 PM
KG7NSV
Hi Rob, HI Glenda
7:58:23 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good evening gentlemen
7:59:35 PM
Rob K9RVM
Good evening!
7:59:46 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Tonight's topic will be the pros and cons of the various forms of bug out transportation
8:00:10 PM
Josh K7ZIM joined the channel
8:00:24 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Evening everyone
8:02:35 PM
Rob K9RVM
Good evening Josh
8:02:53 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Hi rob
Is this an "i want this as a bov" or an "i have this"?
8:06:05 PM
Rob K9RVM
I think both are appropriate.
8:07:34 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Josh, both are appropriate
8:08:16 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Ohh then i want an armored duce and a half, mulit fuel diesel. But since my truck is broke i currenty have nothing. Lol!
Water cubes!
8:17:20 PM
KG7NSV left the channel (quit)
TWP joined the channel
8:18:17 PM
TWP
Hi all
8:18:35 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Hi twp
8:19:05 PM
TWP
Sorry, I took a nap and overslept
8:19:46 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Lol!
8:26:50 PM
K7WBP joined the channel
8:27:25 PM
TWP
On the original net topic, I've made some comments and will post them to the forum.
8:28:19 PM
Rob K9RVM
It's being projected to be a complete traffic apocalypse and seems to be a great representation of what a mass west coast event requiring a mass exodus would look like. I'm excited to give it a try. Hopefully the 140 gallons in the truck will get me there and back. I'm curious to find out.
8:28:43 PM
K7WBP left the channel (quit)
8:29:20 PM
TWP
Rob, you're a braver man than I.  Looking forward to your report
8:29:36 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I'm excited and can't wait to hear your report!!
8:30:07 PM
Rob K9RVM
It should be quite an adventure.
8:30:12 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Good luck rob!
8:30:24 PM
TWP
'Night all
8:30:26 PM
Rob K9RVM
have a great night everyone. 73 all.
8:30:32 PM
TWP left the channel (d0b61130eae98b894dcde89f4dac52f62c139281)
8:30:41 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Good night all!
8:31:01 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
It would be interesting to experience.  I wish I could go, mostly for the adventure of the trip there and back
Good night Josh
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Your Bug out Plan Transportation Options
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
Since I got to the chat late, I wasn't able to post this:

My vehicle of choice is the bicycle and trailer.  Which means I carry tools suited for fixing most parts (wrenches, pliers, tire patch, axle and chain grease).

One factor when riding a bike is tire blowouts.  Besides having spare tubes and tires, I also have one spare front and rear wheel.  They are bulky but necessary.  I wear out a wheel about once every 8-9 months, from normal daily riding.

Another factor is the time needed for a flat tire repair.  This can be up to 20-30 minutes on a good day.  I DO NOT like using the auto-sealer compounds because they prevent a patch from sticking to the tire rubber.  HOWEVER, if I were in a bug-out situation, I would use those tire sealants because they do give you a much longer time between flats.  They do NOT stop all flats, but the small holes do get plugged.

Note that in many states, the bane of bicyclers is the Goat Head Bur.  It is the primary cause of 99.99% of my flat tires.  They are everywhere in Nevada...  I curse them, frequently.  You cannot escape them.

Yes, there are solid rubber tubes which do not suffer from the flat tire problem.  They are also a major problem to install and they make wheel repair more difficult, because they require that you release your brake pads in order to remove the wheel.  On some bikes, this is not so easy...

Another tool which I wish I had is Pannier carriers ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannier )across both front and rear wheels.  They increase the load carrying ability by at least 50 pounds.  They may interfere with the ability to hitch a trailer behind the bike.

One big factor in favor of bicycles in a bug-out is that they will follow narrow trails which cannot be used in a larger vehicle.  This is also true of off-road motorbikes.  Some trails cannot handle the width of my trailer (32 inches wide).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Your Bug out Plan Transportation Options
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »
I finally have the time, and access to the internet to reply in this thread.

I have quite a few transportation options available to me in case I must relocate, bug out, or evacuate.

Last, of course, is shank's mare, with just my EDC items.

Next to last is again shank's mare, but with a 10# - 15# pack, which is the maximum I can carry for any distance.

Before that, hopefully, I will be able to pull/push the loaded game cart, though still on foot.

I do not currently have a bicycle or moped, though I hope to have one or the other as an option. The bicycle might be ridden, with or without a trailer, or pushed with gear loaded onto it.

I have enough offers to be picked up by several amazing friends that I can realistically include motorized transport for at least part, if not all, of my travel plans.

Of course, first choice is to be able to load up my game cart (and a bike or moped) in my truck, along with additional supplies, into my truck, and use it to get to where I am going.

Along with the above possibilities, I have not ruled out various forms of hitch-hiking and/or 'riding the rails'. Not just catching a ride with what is on my back, but making arrangements to carry much of my gear, as well. By passenger vehicle, work truck, semi-truck, ship/barge, aircraft, and various rail cars. Either with permission, and possibly without.

Now, a few notes about the routes I might take. Some are dependent on which method of travel I will be employing. Which can be modified by what the chances are that I might have to switch methods. A straight vehicle route might be less practical if it is likely I will have to abandon the vehicle and use a bike or be on foot. A route that would make that easier, even if not the best route to take a vehicle all the way. Given the correct vehicle or vehicle modification, railroad tracks (under very specific conditions and circumstances) are an option. Not just motorized vehicles, but self-powered as well.

Routes also take into account various weather events, whether part of the disaster or simply a factor in the bug-out. Deep snow, extreme cold, heavy rain, flooding, high heat, and high winds can all be factors in the route chosen.

Of course, final destination is a major factor, but there are situations where I simply will not be able 'to get there from here and will have to go somewhere else first to get there'. Taking a round-about route may be necessary due to physical circumstances, or could simply be a tactical or strategic consideration to prevent others from discerning just exactly where you are really headed.

I try to keep an open mind about possibilities, and to think outside the box a bit, when considering transportation options.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)