Home Page

Food "Expiration" dates and what they mean

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Food "Expiration" dates and what they mean
« on: May 07, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »
(Opinion)  I have long suspected that the printed dates on commercial foods were a marketing ploy and not an actual "deadline"...

In support of this, Please read tis article and watch the video from a USDA "official".  The following is a quote from the video

"Even the USDA agrees that the dates on food can be exceeded.  In the following video, a representative from the USDA says that the shelf life can be extended greatly, often between 12-18 months."

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-eating-expired-food/

I am not recommending that your ignore these "expiration" dates, but I don't think they are as great a cause for concern as the media and manufactures would like you to believe.

Stock rotation is still a very good idea and we practice it...

After an "event' you may want to know what is stated in this article.  It could be the difference between being fed or going hungry after making a dumb error by disposing of older food.

I note some anecdotal support from the comments section at the end of this article.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:32:33 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Food "Expiration" dates and what they mean
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »
id also like to add that with all food it will smell and taste bad well before it will make you sick....just and fyi
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions