Home Page

Guinea Pig, it's whats for Dinner

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Guinea Pig, it's whats for Dinner
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
Putting aside any "American" sensibilities about eating certain animals, this article talks about why Guinea pigs are a good choice for meat.   There is even a recipe, although they could have chosen a better picture to appeal to US appetites...

http://preparednessadvice.com/recipes/raising-guinea-pigs-food/#.VaU4_UJlCeV

Note from the comments that the size of the Guinea pig makes it a better choice for serving one person.  Rabbits are perhaps a little larger and would require some method to preserve the meat.

I think I could handle raising them for food, but I don't have children who might view them as pets.

Read the article for an international perspective on Guinea pigs as food.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Guinea Pig, it's whats for Dinner
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »
I think it is a good idea for some people. Most will not be able to handle it. Same with pot-belly 'pet' pigs, another good small stock source of protein. Some people start with rabbits and wind up not being able to harvest them.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Guinea Pig, it's whats for Dinner
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
I agree Jerry. 

In another post, I recommended that people with children should find a local farm or backyard prepper who does their own butchering. 

Exposing the children the process, even encouraging them to participate, can make a life and death difference for their future.

It is up to the parents, of course, but better to get the experience earlier than to have to learn it "the hard way" as an adult.

I butchered my first chickens and rabbits at the age of about 25 or 30 (long time ago)...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.