Home Page

Night Vision - A quote from Yer Ol' Woodpile Report

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Night Vision - A quote from Yer Ol' Woodpile Report
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:11:32 PM »
http://woodpilereport.com/html/index-525.htm

Miguel Monjardino discusses the the Peloponnesian War and a student reenactment of Brasidas's night operation, in his essay,
In the Footsteps of Brasidas, at City Journal:

[link] Night, students quickly learn, changes everything... "It was so different at night. The grass was tall and wet, there were lots of holes, brambles all over the place, and we fell several times at the start. We talked and explored but had doubts about the right path until the end" ...
Balance, agility, physical coordination, strength, and cooperation were essential on this section of the walk. Things got dark and claustrophobic when we crossed the woods.

Woodpile Report Global Headquarters & Jiffy Screen Door Repair is located in  a "dark sky" region. On a moonless night you can't see your hand in front of your face, but by way of compensation, after night vision fully sets in the Milky Way looks like the Hubble photographs. The brighter stars seem to hang not far out of reach, as if they may become tangled in the treetops. Only at sea have I seen its equal.
Go woods cruising without using a flashlight, but carry an ultra-dim "moonlight" flashlight as a backup, with a red filter to preserve your 'night eyes'. At first this seems pointless and disorienting. Senses only lightly used are struggling to emerge in their fullest form.  Let them. When they find their natural level and work together it's a different kind of vision, a survival capability no one can buy off the shelf. And be of good cheer, the owls and coyotes know exactly where you are so you're never really lost.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Night Vision - A quote from Yer Ol' Woodpile Report
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
He nailed it. That is exactly the way it is. Used to do that a great deal. It can be spooky, until you realize you can count on your senses. I am lucky that I have always had pretty good night vision, so it did not take long for my eyes to adjust when I went lightless.

I remember many times when I was out with others and would turn my light off so I could see more, than when the light was on. Most of them would not even try it, as they simply could not believe that a person can see more in the dark often times than they can with a light.

All you can see with a light is what is in the light. Everything else is simply black. But without the light, things become visible much further away. Might not have quite the clarity of things up close when using a light, but you can see a great deal more overall, including at a greater distance much of the time.

Good find, TWP. Thank you.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
JDY. Now I know who Jack Travis inherited his night vision from.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
JDY. Now I know who Jack Travis inherited his night vision from.

Yep. He does have a few of my traits and abilities.

The good night vision, the sensing of a pregnancy, fast reflexes (used to, anyway), and many more. But not the languages. That is all Jack. I can barely speak English, let along another language or fifteen. But I do know a couple of people that really can.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)