Home Page

Article on five meat animals for backyards

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article on five meat animals for backyards
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
If you can do this in your home yard, this is a good start on being prepped.

http://survivalathome.com/backyard-meat-animals/

While not all of these animals are suitable for all climates, you should be able to pick one or more which will work in your  area.

I've raised chickens and rabbits, in Washington State (think rain and relatively overcast skies).  They were both a near break-even food source in terms of what their food cost versus the cost of purchase for the same eggs and meat.

The plus side was that Rabbit meat was selling for more than their food cost and fresh eggs were in demand when I had surplus, which generally covered chicken food cost, and of course I was getting fresh eggs and meats for my own consumption.

Upkeep was fairly minimal, daily feed and water, cleaning the pens (both give great fertilizer) and slaughter every few months.  I did exchange roosters with a neighbor about once a year, which let me keep the gene pool a little more random.  The rabbits were so prolific (it's a rabbit thing) that I could sell my live bucks for more than the cost of two does.

I would also look at ducks, as noted in the reader comments to the article.  I had a stream and pond, but no effective way to fence it.  Keep this in mind with ducks, they will leave if allowed.  Chickens will escape but not wander far and they return at night.  Predators are a problem (think local dog packs, coyotes, weasel and muskrats).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pqtb

Re: Article on five meat animals for backyards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »
If one can keep pigs why not goats?   A good nanny goat will produce milk and one plus offspring for meat every year if bred to.   In my area one needs a very secure chicken coop to keep out the skunks, raccoons, foxes and other predators.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
I understand that goats are also very good at keeping down weeds, assuming that your can fence an area.  They would really enjoy devastating a garden...

I've only met a couple of goats in my life, both of which were well behaved nannies.  The males, on the other hand, are reputed to be "cantankerous" and also smelly.  But you would need one male to keep up milk and meat production.

I would also want to know some neighbors who would trade "Billy" services to keep the gene pool from becoming to inbred.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:16:53 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pqtb

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:10:51 AM »
Goats can be tethered similar to a dog.  Those in colder climates would need to provide winter shelter that can contain a goats.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions