Home Page

Recipe - "Amish" Poor Mans Steak - Canned Hamburger in Gravy

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
The article is heavy on pictures and light on quantities.  Which is fine for my style of cooking by some people need more exact numbers.

WARNING:: the author skips the most important part of this process.  YOU MUST PRESSURE COOK THE FILLED JARS.  While our ancestors managed to survive using just hot water canning, some did not.... They are not our ancestors (think about it).

If you are uncomfortable with 'winging it' on recipes, just know that it is very, very hard to mess this up.  Remember that practice is what counts most.

http://www.askaprepper.com/canning-amish-poor-mans-steak/

This is the missing text about the final pressure canning:

"I only did one canner load Friday evening as it was getting late and I was tired and disgusted.   I no longer want to be a chef!  When I was filling the 5th jar I realized my magnet was missing from the little wand thingy that I use to get the hot lids and bands out of the water.  Here I am thinking that magnet has ended up in the 4th jar and I have no idea which jar is the 4th. So now I am thinking when they cool off I can kind of shake the jar and see if I can find the magnet but you know what?  Little pieces of mushrooms floating around will look like a magnet as well.  I guess I will mark these jars as "Magnetic Poor Man's Steak" and we'll be extra careful to look for the magnet as we open them for a meal.  They looked great coming out of the canner.  I processed these for 90 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure on my dial gauge. "
DO NOTE: the use of the LID for the canning jar to make hamburger patties of the exactly correct size.  The patty will shrink as you grill them and fit nicely into the canning jars.  USE WIDE MOUTH JARS to save food space.

If you like, you may ad other spices to the meat mix,  I suggest trying Thyme, Oregano, Basil and Garlic (granuated).

Technically, you don't need to use gravy to submerge the patties, you could use just the grease from the grilling operation, but you will need A LOT of grease.  The gravy can be made using the recovered grease and will expand to more volume then the grease alone.

As with all canning operations, cleanliness is VITAL. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.