Home Page

Article - Botulism and Canning - The Whys and the Wherefores

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
If you are new to canning, this article is a excellent place to start.  It will give you an understanding of WHY some canning is done differently than others.

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/botulism-canning-whys-wherefores/

Canning is a very important ( critically important! ) prepper skill.  You Need to know how to preserve your garden produce, at a minimum.  Sure, you can dehydrate many vegies and this is a valid way to preserve, but it doesn't work for all kinds of food, vegetable and animal products.

I note that the cost of a "freeze drying" unit is far, far in excess of the cost of a simple canning setup.  If you want to simply dehydrate foods, you can start with a lower end dehydrator for less than $50.

For a simple canning setup, plan on spending around $100, which will include as set of jars and lids and a hot water bath.  This will NOT work for all foods, so be warned, you really want a pressure canner to can foods at higher temperature (read the article...).

I wish we had a local resource where people could learn how to can, safely.  The LDS used to have "canneries" but this has been legislated out of existence.   The only other option (that I know of) is home lessons with someone who already knows this skill and has the equipment.  If you find someone willing to do this, please practice appropriate OPSEC and don't risk being noticed by local "health" authorities... It is not (yet) illegal for someone to teach canning, so let's keep it that way...

If you cannot be formally trained in canning, then DO get as much written instructions as possible and READ them thoroughly.  Learn to make simple jams and jellies at home, as a starting point for other kinds of canned goods.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.