Home Page

Wildfire - Go Bags and Emergency Kits, Evacuation Checklists an

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
Our topic was Wildfire - Go Bags and Emergency Kits, Evacuation Checklists and Caches.

Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/032118_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

7:51:15 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
7:49:57 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi Fred
7:51:28 PM
AC1BN
Hi Ken!
7:52:08 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda joined the channel
TWP joined the channel
7:52:46 PM
TWP
HI All
The repeater sound clean tonight
7:57:53 PM
N7SAX joined the channel
7:58:05 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Yes, we should get a great recording of the net.
7:58:51 PM
N7SAX
nice Spring weather
7:59:02 PM
MountainGhost joined the channel
Josh K7ZIM joined the channel
7:59:59 PM
TWP
Hi Josh, MntGhost, SAX
8:00:18 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Hi twp and everyone!
8:00:49 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi all
8:01:03 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Hi ken
8:01:11 PM
MountainGhost
Hi everyone. Just signed up tonight.
8:01:36 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Hi mtn ghost welcome!
So no net topic related, but got ft8 up and running this weekend.
8:04:21 PM
Ken K7KBJ
what is ft8 ???
8:06:42 PM
AC1BN
FT8 is a digital communication program. It picks up signals at an amazingly low level and over great distances at low power. I worked China today using it!
8:07:01 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Mountain Ghost??? Awesome ! Welcome
FT8, very very cool !
8:07:16 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Digital mode for hf and all using wsjt-x software. It runs on usb on all bands in the data sections. Its not very personal but its quick paced.
8:07:19 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Good work
8:07:48 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good Evening MountainGhost and welcome to our net
8:08:02 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Thanks. All this ot at work bought me a few new radio things. Lol.
8:15:13 PM
MountainGhost
Great place to start looking for frequenciesfor a scanner is www.radioreference.com
8:16:37 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Yes, I have taken a look at radioref before and thought some of it to be out dated. Maybe that's simply because there was no activity or I was too impatient.
8:17:09 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Will the newer scanners be able to access the digital signals the leo's use?
8:17:33 PM
Ken K7KBJ
There is something the FCC calls frequency coordination and it takes time. So, once chosen, their frequencies should be stable over time.
8:17:41 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
some leo's have started to limit frequencies
8:18:08 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I don't know the answer to that digital signal question.
8:18:04 PM
TWP
In reference to Fred's question: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
8:18:16 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Thanks TWP
8:18:23 PM
TWP
Lots of radio freq. for emergency usage,
Mtn Ghost, you beat me to it <g>
8:21:45 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I have used the broadcastify app on my cell phone to listen to local sheriff, fire, pollice
It always seems to be spotty for me, though, like I'm missing part of each transmission.
Always look forward to Jerry's input !
8:24:28 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I have used the scanner radio app for many incidents. It has been hit or miss at times. But I have heard responses to fires, as well as the active shooter situation downtown a few months ago
8:24:38 PM
Josh K7ZIM
He always sparks some ideas in my brain!
8:24:59 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Glenda, which one do you use?
8:25:09 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Scanner Radio app
8:25:37 PM
Ken K7KBJ
kool
8:25:48 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Got evacuated from the Boys and Girls Club when I was picking up Jasmine. I listened to the fire department clear the building
We were stuck in the back corner of the playground
8:26:48 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I'm installing it now. Thanks!
8:27:02 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
You can listen to the repeaters too
And you can listen to locations across the country
8:27:52 PM
MountainGhost
I use Scanner Radio Pro since it checks for alerts every 5 minutes vs 15 minutes for free version. Using that app I have been listening to these chats since late October.
8:29:02 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Wow, Scanner Radio looks to be very good!
Good to know, M-Ghost !
8:36:12 PM
MountainGhost
One thing I'd add to every kit is some means of water filtration. We have a Katadyn in the car but use the $20 Sawyer water filters from Walmart in our bags. Used one last year for our annual campout and it kept up filtering water for 13 people for a week.
8:37:09 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Water filter is a great idea. A lot lighter than carrying bottled water.
8:37:25 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Good to know mtn! I have several sawyers and havent used them. Thanks for the input on them!
8:38:45 PM
MountainGhost
The $50 Sawyer kit give a bucket adapter, faucet adapter, hoses and a filter and a drill to turn 2 buckets into the water filter we used for campout.
8:38:55 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Regarding the list of frequencies of local fire, medical, police, etc..... I'm going to search fcc.gov just in case they have public info there.
Alright, good night everyone, thanks for participating.
8:46:32 PM
N7SAX
Good Night
8:47:06 PM
N7SAX left the channel (quit)
8:47:12 PM
TWP
Thanks Glenda, good net tonight
Night all
8:47:21 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good net tonight guys
8:47:24 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Night all have a good week! Thanks glenda!
8:47:35 PM
AC1BN
Good night, all!
8:47:42 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good night all