Home Page

We Shared Some Past Mistakes We Have Made In Prepping

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
We Shared Some Past Mistakes We Have Made In Prepping
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We Shared Some Past Mistakes We Have Made In Prepping.

Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/030817_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

NNPG - The Northern Nevada Preppers Group Chat

7:36:54 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
kg7nsv joined the channel
7:55:49 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi NSV !
7:56:08 PM
kg7nsv
Hi Ken, I decided to monitor this chat tonight
I'll be on air
7:56:41 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Kool
8:00:11 PM
N7SAX joined the channel
Rob K9RVM joined the channel
TWP joined the channel
Anthony joined the channel
8:02:31 PM
TWP
Hi all
8:03:06 PM
Anthony
Hello
Im in reno i am usmc mux operator gonna get my ham license soon. may 20th.
listened to you guys last week love it running a baofeng GT-5tp
mobile handheld
8:05:02 PM
TWP
Anthony, where did you buy your Baofend?
8:05:11 PM
Rob K9RVM
congratulations on working to get your license.
8:05:14 PM
TWP
Baofeng....
8:05:17 PM
Anthony
saving up for the infamous yaesu 857d
8:05:20 PM
Rob K9RVM
It's a great hobby.
8:05:28 PM
Anthony
i did
i was a radio operator then a mux operator a decade ago
got lost and found. lol now going back to the things i love
8:06:37 PM
KI7KXO joined the channel
8:06:54 PM
KI7KXO
KI7KXO - Jeff in Reno
8:07:06 PM
TWP
Hi Jeff
8:07:19 PM
Rob K9RVM
It's down across the nation and multiple carriers is the latest reports.
8:09:57 PM
Anthony
he should look into the meds ha is taking an dfocus in the main ingrediants that can usually be found in plants, minerals and certain fruits
8:10:45 PM
KI7KXO
A problem that my family recently faced is we weren't prepared for flooding at our house that's not in a flood zone. We had our crawl space fill up with water, almost to the top of the joists, and 5 inches of water in our garage caused by a failed City of Reno sewer pump. It's a mess. I'll definitely be prepared for this in the future.
8:11:54 PM
Rob K9RVM
And reports are coming in that the 911 issue is resolved.
8:13:35 PM
Anthony
ki7kxo should always have a sump pump ready to go... the flooding has been ridiculous this year. im a plumber and we get a lot of calls for sewer manholes and storm drains at capacity
8:13:53 PM
N7SAX
New subject for future consideration:
It would be beneficial to identify/determine a prepper/tactical easy, rapid deployable HF antenna 10 – 40 meters and beyond. In the desert there are few trees high enough to sling, suspend or anchor antenna center points or ends. Masts require an anchor point - tripod and guy lines. This is much more elaborate than desired. It would be great if we as a prepping group can identify/develop an HF wire antenna design that is light weight, compact and readily deployable in the desert without any naturally and regularly occurring high-points (trees).
8:14:33 PM
Anthony
sad because you would never think the homes would be affected however the ground and the sewer system only absorbs so much at a time
8:17:23 PM
Ken K7KBJ
SAX, you might be describing an NVIS antenna
It can actually just lay on the ground !
8:18:58 PM
N7SAX
OK, we should have a focus on this and learn and look to standardize in my opinion.
8:19:10 PM
KI7KXO
I purchased 2 10k gal sumps, as well as some sandless sand bags make of a plastic and wood composit that soaks up water and expands. Going to get some flood insurance as well.
8:19:16 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Yep, good one SAX. I'm going to work on that.
8:19:36 PM
N7SAX
Thank you Ken
8:21:38 PM
Anthony
flood insurance is a great start. sorry about your troubles. i can only imagine the damage. sry to hear
8:22:01 PM
TWP
The NVIS seems to have a limit on frequency range (40-80 meters) due to the need to use ionosphere bounce. Reference:
http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/WP-NVIS-Rev2.pdf
Disclaimer, I am not an antenna authority...
8:24:48 PM
N7SAX
If we standardize on a particular antenna, we can each have one in our BOB. If we are each familiar we can efficiently help each other deploy our own and each other's antenna because they are all the same. Beyond this we can each have our own individual favorite, be it a buddipole (for example) or whatever... We need antennas easily deployable in the desert that are effective and not elaborate.
8:25:01 PM
Ken K7KBJ
TWP, you are correct. BUT, that does not really limit us who need to communicate during an emergency. It is widely monitored and works well.
8:25:05 PM
Anthony
oso i have a question maybe net control can ask? when it comes to long term preparedness. im sure the more people you could reach the better however is there a good radio in between that could do amazing things in times of distress. other than cheap handhelds. just want some info on what the go to guys have.
8:26:24 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Anthony, I suggest a radio that will work with our local repeaters. We many repeaters around here and that's a very good resource.
That would be 2M and 70CM
Much better coverage than cell phones
and always someone on the air who will help you.
8:27:21 PM
Anthony
do any of you go to the snars classes on thursdays
8:27:30 PM
Ken K7KBJ
I'll be there tomorrow!
8:27:50 PM
Rob K9RVM
Anthony we have found the Yaseu FT-7900R to be a great radio. Reasonably cheap and pretty much bullet proof. Works on a cork screw mag mount antenna and hits pretty much everything in the area and long range simplex.
8:28:49 PM
Anthony
i have i think a pretty good one. the baofeng 5t-5tp tri power up to 8 watt.
8:29:36 PM
N7SAX
Ladies & Gentlemen, in my opinion, we have to all be HF ready so we can communicate Radio-to-Radio without the help of repeaters which will fail or go down in a catastrophic event
8:29:54 PM
Ken K7KBJ
SAX, yes you are correct.
8:29:53 PM
Anthony
but i have a feeling other than hams. most emergency personell with the know. in times of distress will still either be edacs or p-25 systems
8:30:18 PM
N7SAX
So the antenna subject plays
8:30:28 PM
Ken K7KBJ
More and more our ARES group is practicing with HF and developing a plan.
8:30:34 PM
Anthony
in that case do i just always have a scanner and then maybe buy a motorolla. lol
8:31:10 PM
Ken K7KBJ
All the ham radios have a scanner mode too
The newer ones, that is.
8:31:28 PM
Anthony
people like us will always have comm. however sometimes you need to know what the so called authorities have to say
thanks for the shout out
i would love that
8:33:44 PM
N7SAX
I'm new here, I have no history or authority. With that said, as a group, the nnpg.net group, everyone needs to become a general, it is so darn easy. this way as a group we will be able to communicate radio-to-Radio witout the repeaters
8:34:39 PM
KI7KXO
I'm a new ham as well. Pass my technician 2 weeks ago. Going for my General in April.
8:34:55 PM
Anthony
n7sax what do you mean
we should all go extra so we could really be prepared..lol
8:35:59 PM
kg7nsv
SAX - I like simplex, but there are limits to it. I would advise everyone to know how to manually input and connect simplex, but repeaters offer a greater opportunity to new hams to use their equipment
8:37:02 PM
N7SAX
no question Ken but repeaters are outside real prepping in my opinion
8:37:17 PM
Anthony
simplex is great however when traveling you kinda have to hit he repeaters
8:37:23 PM
N7SAX
theyb will not be operational
8:37:46 PM
TWP
Replay to David's snow melt question. It has happened before, but the forecast still doesn't show a "pineapple express" on the way.
8:38:49 PM
kg7nsv
Please don't misread that. Simplex is great and more dependable in adverse circumstances. However I would not have the skill today if I didn't have repeaters to use my radios and learn on them
8:38:53 PM
Anthony
you all are awesome
thank you for what you contribute timewise and info thank you
to all
8:39:24 PM
KI7KXO
8:39:29 PM
N7SAX
Let's get in to it more in the near future
8:39:31 PM
kg7nsv
73'S
8:39:46 PM
TWP
Thanks Ken, good net.
8:39:56 PM
Rob K9RVM
Have a great night all. Just got back from a long day in California and I need to get a few things done before work tomorrow. Take care.
8:40:02 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Sure will SAX because HF is a very important part of Prepping. I'd actually like to have an HF prepper net as well.
By Rob.
8:40:13 PM
KI7KXO left the channel (quit)
8:40:18 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Thanks TWP
8:40:27 PM
N7SAX
very good, thanks and good night 73
8:41:31 PM
Ken K7KBJ left the channel