Home Page

north vs south homesteading

Offline pqtb

north vs south homesteading
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »
This video has lots of ideas to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZW6MdKWLg
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: north vs south homesteading
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
Could you explain, please?

My bandwidth doesn't play well with videos (or Youtube).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pqtb

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
One must take in account local area conditions when planning a homestead.  What will work in northern US will be a disaster in the deep south or vice versa.  One must select plant or animals that are adapted to area they are being grown.   If possible source animals and plants locally to insure they are adapted to local conditions.   It was pointed out in the video that northern areas can buy feed and store for long periods of time and the southern location it will spoil due to heat and humidity.  North has to stock pile hay for winter months as the deep south can graze all year long.   Seek out guidance/mentors in your local area from those successfully doing what you want to because all those helpful videos on youtube make not yield desired results.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
That sound useful, thank you!

I'll do a download tonight while I'm sleeping.

[edit]  I pulled this down last night (30 minutes...)

It has good information on choosing plants for your homestead (or BOL) garden/farm.

One point especially noted is that plants which are regrown from collected seed, replanted in the same area for a couple of season, will become much better adapted to the local environment.

Remember that the seed packets you buy at the local garden shop or hardware store are likely NOT specifically bred for your local climate.  DO check the recommended area (usually even printed on the seed packet).

If you can find them, local seed swaps are a MUCH better option for obtaining seeds from your area.  The key is "SWAP" because these are not (usually) for sale, but rather exchanged for your homegrown seeds.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:14:20 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.