Home Page

Our 2018 Gear Review

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Our 2018 Gear Review
« on: July 26, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.We had our 2018 Gear Review.
Here's your link:  http://www.nnpg.net/072518_radio.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Our 2018 Gear Review
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »

Thank you, Ken.

My thoughts that I could not do during the net are in my next post.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »

Unfortunately, between health issues and radio issues, I have not been able to participate much in the last few nets. But here are my thoughts on the 2018 Gear net.

While I have not added a great deal to my prep gear so far this year, I have added some. And have tested out some of the things I picked up late last year.

The good:
1) Lightning Strike ferrocerium rod fire starter with Lightning Strike Napalm tinder:
While I have had it for a while and was very happy with it, I had a chance to see how non-experienced young people did with it. They did GREAT. Even the youngest, not sure her age, perhaps seven or eight, but probably younger, was able to ignite the Napalm tinder disk with just a couple of tries. The others, a bit older to early teens, had not trouble at all. Often getting the tinder going on a first stroke. I am extremely happy with the Lightning Strike and the Napalm Tinder and recommend them highly.

2) UCO Sweetfire Strikable fire starter:
This was a brand new one for me. I have used and highly recommend UCO Stormproof matches. This new product, the Sweetfire Strikable is a piece of tinder with a striker tip, much like a match head. As long as they are held correctly, and struck on the included UCO striker strip, they ignite and burn very well, for a decent amount of time. I really like these. They will be used primarily for starting regular fires, but are suitable for emergency use, too.

3) DuraFlame fire starters:
These work fine. They do need a good flame to start, as I had no success using them as a spark catcher. But they burn well. Fine as a basic fire tinder/kindling to get a fire going under normal circumstances. My main interest in these, as they are available in several sizes, was a fuel I could carry to use with my water bottle/folding handle cup stove. It can use twigs and other small burnables. The DuraFlame sticks did work fine, but they burned quickly. And were rather smoky. I doubt I will carry them for emergency use, but for camping, as a regular fire starting assist they are fine.

4) Weber Fire Cube tinder cubes:
While not what I expected, these were quite amazing. I was expecting something similar to a WetFire cube in individual cube packaging. Instead, these were a fairly soft waxy texture cube, packed in a waffle grid type tray, with a sealing sheet over them. A bit difficult to cut out a single unit, but I was not expecting that, and therefore did not do a good job accessing the package. I do think it can be done. If so, they would be an extremely good emergency tinder. They caught with only a few sparks from a ferrocerium rod, and ignited with the touch of a plasma lighter. Definitely great for around home fire starting, if I can cut the packaging correctly so I can carry individual cubes securely, they will great for emergency fire starting.

5) Plasma lighter:
The plasma lighter was given to me by my friends on our way back from Prepper Con this year. I am not sure of the brand name, and the packaging is packed away and I do not want to dig for it. This is a cylindrical lighter, essentially a lithium ion battery, with a four prong plasma unit on one end, under a flip up cover. The cover flips up and all the way over, leaving the top of the lighter fully exposed.

This was a feature I really wanted in a plasma lighter. With it being a four prong unit, that produces an X cross pattern of plasma lines, it is a great fire starter using just about any kind of tinder. I tried it with fat wood, Weber Fire Cubes, sisal rope birds' nest, cotton ball/Vasoline fire starters, and a couple more. Worked great with all of them.

And the reason I wanted a plasma lighter on which the cap flipped all the way over was so I could use it as an expedient self-defense item. The plasma arcs are very hot. And will it is not the same as a stun gun, there is a bit of shock effect. But the primary deterrent is the fact that those four prongs get very hot, as well. With the push button held down, moving it toward a person's bare skin, especially the face, should give a person pause. And touching them with it will burn. If used around the face, near the eyes, and an aggressive person will likely back off.

EDC items:
I have picked up several new every day carry items to try out. All inexpensive, though quality items. I have found each one useful, but am still evaluating them. Carrying all of them on me is a bit more than I want. I need to decide which to keep on me and which to just have available in the truck or in an EDC kit, rather than pocket carry. I will review them later on this year.

Tire changing gear:
I had a chance to try out some additions and enhancements to my tire changing equipment I carry in the truck. With my health problems, changing a tire, especially during the summer, can be dangerous for me. So I have added some things to my gear in the truck to make it easier and less dangerous. Thanks to Ken, the items were given a good test during the Amateur Radio Field Day trip.

The first item is a hydraulic floor jack. Much easier than the scissor jack that came with the truck. Still have to get down and slightly under the truck to use it. I am considering a different option, but for the moment it is a huge step upward for changing tires.

Second is a 4-way lug wrench. Works better than the L-unit that came with the truck. Plus it will fit other sizes of lug nuts. I can get much better torque on the lug nuts with it, which is very important for me, as I use Charles Swab for my tire work. They check air, and rotate for free if you buy tires from them. So, they are the ones that put on the tires most of the time, and of course use an impact wrench. They do have the torque set correctly and do not just keep hammering the nuts, making it almost impossible to get them off manually. So it is not much of a problem with them. However, I just do not have the strength anymore to break tough lug nuts loose using just the factory tire tool. The cross bar on the 4-way makes it much easier.

Another thing that helps with tight lug nuts is using one of the jack-stands I got for the truck to support the outer arm of the 4-way level with the lug nut so I can put even more force on the cross bar without the wrench slipping off the lug nut. And I have them to put under the axles if I need to get under the truck for any other work.

Added two pairs of wheel chocks for safety when changing tires, or doing other things where the truck might have a tendency to move. Much better than the small, sheet metal factory ones.

And another major aid is the Black and Decker combination cordless drill  I obtained recently. I can change from drill chuck to light impact wrench, and can use a trim saw, jig saw, reciprocating saw, air compressor, sander, light shears, and hammer drill with the unit. It uses 20v lithium ion batteries and works great. It is not super heavy commercial duty, but still gets the job done. And with the impact wrench head on it, I can spin off and spin on lug nuts much more quickly than using even the 4-way. I do not depend on it to break loose really tight lug nuts or tighten them down. I do that with the 4-way.

In the case of really tough lug nuts, and any other type of situation that requires it, I picked up a long breaker bar/extension. Like most breaker bars, the 1/2" socket drive flips, but it also can be put in line with the shaft, and since the handle end has a socket, the thing can be used as a long extension.

To make airing the tires easy, and for other uses, I have a Black and Decker inflator that uses the same batteries, can run on 12vDC, or 120vAC. Much better than a hand pump, let me tell you.

I invested in a reflective vest for safety, and have a tarp to put down on the ground to protect my clothing from mud and snow and such. I added knee pads to the kit, as well as goggles for safety. A bicycle helmet is included for times when it might be required, but is primarily part of my earthquake preps. A headlamp lets me see well without trying to hold or position a flashlight.

I am sure there are a few more things that I am not remembering, so when I do I will add them in.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
Jerry, that is an incredibly helpful post. Thanks so much !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »
Here's a link to the Safeguard Foods that I reviewed in the net:
https://www.safeguardfood.com/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Keep calm and PREP on!

Offline K7ZIM

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
Thanks ken! It seems that the chat has died tho. No one logs in anymore.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
We lost the live web feed.
I'm bringing it back by doing it myself.
Testing right now is successful.
Looking for good results.
More later!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:21:30 AM by Ken K7KBJ »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline K7ZIM

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
Oh thanks ken! I was talking to a guy from snars, and he said they have all the equipment, they just needed a volenteer to run it. I offered but as i am in fallon, and can't put up a permanent antenna, it wasn't a possibility. I did dig out my ht and reprogram all the repeaters into it. But it doesn't really get out to mt rose.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
The live web feed is now up and workinggo to www.nnpg.caster.fmIt's live during our net but right now I'm streaming music.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions