Home Page

Your mission ..., should you choose/decide to accept it

Your mission ..., should you choose/decide to accept it
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Hi,
I've just had 3 buttpacks given to me.
LBT-9005A Coyote Brown Butt Pack, http://lbtinc.com/9005acb

Long story short, during a discussion of LBE with some friends, I had mentioned that I did like the London Bridges Trading buttpacks.
One of my friends came across a stock reduction sale and bought all the guy had - gave me 3.  He said he felt he owed me for stuff I had done in the past.  He didn't but it was a nice gift.

Your mission ..., should you choose/decide to accept it is to help me gear them up.  I have 3, they will be identical in load out.
In each buttpack I will be using:
2 ea - Plasticplace 95 Gallon Trash Bags, 2.0 Mil, 61"W x 68"H, Clear, - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AVIJF2O
2 ea - duct tape wrapped 3600 calorie life boat rations
2 ea - 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags to seal all contents of the left, right, and middle pouches.
      note: top pouch contents will be sealed in a 1 qt ziplock freezer bag.  Main - multiple 1 qt and 1 gal pouches
1 ea fairly large magnesium rod, 1 ea fairly large firesteel striker  rod, and 1 ea 4 to 6" hacksaw blade end.
1 ea - Aquamira - Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment Two Part Liquid - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B39KSUO
1 ea - Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets - https://smile.amazon.com/Potable-Chlorine-Dioxide-Purification-Tablets/dp/B000IBY64W/
1 ea - LifeStraw LSPHF017 Personal Water Filter - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/
2 ea - 1 gal ziplock freezer bags - dedicated to water storage/purification
2 ea - 1 qt ziplock freezer bags - dedicated to water storage/purification
1 ea - (misery loves company) Emergency Survival Mylar Thermal Sleeping Bag (2 Pack) - Grizzly Gear - 84" X 36" - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AY1LCIE
1 ea - Swiss Army Camper knife - https://smile.amazon.com/Swiss-Army-56301-Camper-Knife/dp/B000IJRVXC
1 ea - Ontario Black Bird SK-5 Knife w/ Sheath -  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LW4J04/
1 ea - LWO Stainless Steel Deluxe Canteen Kit - https://www.lostwildoutdoors.com/store/p155/Lost_Wild_Outdoors_Stainless_Steel_Canteen_Deluxe_Kit

At this point I've got shelter, water, fire - the above is stuff I have used and have in my possession.

I am open to any/all suggestions.

LBT buttpack dimensions:
Main bag : 11”H x 8”W v 5" D – bag does stretch more on sides.

Top pouch on main bag flap: 2 1/2" H x 7”D x 3.5”D (zipper closure)

Left/right/middle pouch: 8”H x 4”W x 3"D

Both side and center pouches are sewn onto main bag only along sides of pouch allowing for an handle, stick whatever to slide between back of pouch and main bag.

OK - what say you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:02:20 PM by WolfBrother »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Your mission ..., should you choose/decide to accept it
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:33:58 PM »
I would also go with a 24 hour ( 3 "meals") ration bag, perhaps some high calorie food bars.

[edit]
Figuring 3 meals at 6000 calories per meal.  9 of the 200l calories food bars would fit in a quart size ziplock bag.  Yes, 6000 calories is lot, but consider when and where you might be when you need to eat them and it is better to err on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:03:31 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline ken_

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
I'd add a small multi tool that can cut wire, a couple of N95 masks, and for winter a wool cap and a little bottle of Jagermeister.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
I would also go with a 24 hour ( 3 "meals") ration bag, perhaps some high calorie food bars.

[edit]
Figuring 3 meals at 6000 calories per meal.  9 of the 200l calories food bars would fit in a quart size ziplock bag.  Yes, 6000 calories is lot, but consider when and where you might be when you need to eat them and it is better to err on the side of caution.

Do you have a source for the meals and/or bars?

I’m carrying a total of 7,200 calories in 2 duct taped 3600 cal. lifeboat rations. I actually provided “lunch” one day at a guys only camp out we used to have. All the guys were surprised at how filling they were.

Like I said I’m open to suggestions.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:34 AM »
6,000 calorories per meal? how many people are you feeding?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
That is 6000 calories for One person, per day.  The assumption is that they will be under high stress and possibly in a cold environment doing more labor than normal.  A bug-out in the winter is an example.

It is better to have too many calories in the pack than not enough.  For the inexperienced person, they may have to force themselves to eat more, because they may not feel the hunger as their body taps its stored reserves.  To avoid depleting those reserves, training is needed to learn how to judge the work load and climate conditions to food intake.

WolfBrother, no, I don't have a source in mind, nor a brand name.  Our local "preparedness" store carries several, including those lifeboat rations you mentioned.  I see these bars in the local grocery stores, "Luna Bars" is one name which comes to mind.  That is not a recommendation, because you will need to check the calorie count AND the actual nutritional content.  Some of them are loaded with carbohydrates (empty calories) but others have some real nutrients.

It would also be wise to ask about food allergies since some of those bars contain nuts.  I'm ok with that, but i know at least one person who cannot handle peanuts...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:51:36 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »
Two 3,600 calorie lifeboat rations 100 mph taped together was my eat on orders ration when I was detached to a Ranger unit And also later when I was in a Ranger unit.

The advice I was given then was that the two would hold me up to 3 days.  And the bars together like they were, were reasonable in size and weight.

Anyone have experience with folding saws like what Gerber has?  Length of the blade precludes bow saws.

I need to keep a pen and pad with me so I can write down idea stuff for the bags.

I also have a Best Glide standard pocket survival fishing kit AND one of their pocket survival kits.
The fishing kits exceed Canadian and Alaskan requirements for survival fishing kits.

How many feet of paracord do you folks think is right?

Anyone have recommendations for two other sources of fire?
Tinder?

Discussion on whether to include a small hand ax? Kukri?

I’ll be including a pair of leather gloves. The watch cap was a good suggestion.

Any thoughts on a small 1st aid kit? Self built or commercial?

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline ken_

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:42:47 PM »
Anyone have experience with folding saws like what Gerber has?  Length of the blade precludes bow saws.

I haven't tried the Gerber folding saw, but I have a Bahco Laplander that works good.

How many feet of paracord do you folks think is right?

I think 50' is enough for short term survival situation. Bank line is also good and takes up less room in the pack.

Any thoughts on a small 1st aid kit? Self built or commercial?

I think self built is better because you can personalize it to your needs and also have control over the quality of the components.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions