Home Page

You must get a copy of this free downloadable book on Prepper Medicine!

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
We are proud to be hosting the most recent edition of Survival and Austere Medicine:
 An Introduction, written and edited by The Remote, Austere, Wilderness and Third World Medicine Discussion Board Moderators.
 The 600+ page book seeks to provide you with the medical knowledge needed
 to approach health care after large scale, long term, grid-down disaster.

Go read about it here:  http://www.nnpg.net/stuff.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: You must get a copy of this free downloadable book on Prepper Medicine!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
Thank you Ken!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:23:10 AM »
Sincere thanks for hosting this. I mean that in most humble fashion.

Honestly, we as authors were almost despairing of getting it out before things started to collapse, so worried were we the way things had been going with the Norks and others. It has taken over 12 years and several starts and stops to get this edition out after the first one. One of the original authors passed away a couple of years ago, and two others haven't been heard from in several years so we really don't have a clue. It has been over 3 years since the chief author and I sat down to dinner and hashed this out and said "Let's make another go of it." Considering that he lives Down Under and I was living in AZ at the time that was no mean feat.

We have hard editions nearing completion, and plan both soft- and hardcover copies this time at printer's cost (hoping for $25 and $35 respectively) and an ebook edition is also planned. I do offer one caveat though: recently we found out that a so-called "Christian" group based out of Minsk (yes, THAT Minsk) was selling downloads of the 2nd edition released in 2005. They claim they do this in agreement (as in royalties paid) with the book authors. It ain't so. We have NEVER agreed to nor charged for the last edition in pdf format, and have no plans to do so now with this edition. So should you ever run across such an offer please contact us and we'll try to get it taken down. The actual print copies will be, as was the last edition, sold at printer's cost. We have never made a dime from this and in fact we have paid out of pocket for research such as copies of books for consideration in the references sections (Where There Is No Pharmacist, for example, did not make the cut), and having our home-brew Penicillin lab-analyzed (it can be done, but if you use bread mold you will be out of luck as far as a useful dose).

Every single one of the 7 primary authors, and several contributors from around the world, are preppers, and have practiced what they preach. Some are former Spec Ops types. Every single one, down to the proofreader, is a been there done that type. There are no armchair medics involved. The authors have done everything from treat victims of the Bali terrorist attack (Google it) to working a field hospital in Afghanistan, and well in between. We even have a veterinarian and a biomedical engineer thrown in for balance and added insight. People from 3 continents came together for this edition.

Download this, and just for the sake of preserving it when the power does eventually go out either snag a hard copy or print one off. The lives saved as a result may well be the next generation, or beyond, because the knowledge was preserved.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:18 AM »
Rascal:

I had no idea you were part of that team.  Congratulations and a big Thank You!

We in NNPG are honored to have you as a member.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
 I am honored to be here, and sincerely sorry I was not aware of your group when I lived within a few hours of you folks. Besides, I just followed Jerry over here.  ;D

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
RR,
I had a small hand in this many years ago.  I did some proof reading (mainly sentence structure/spelling) for PA4Ortho.  Then the forum and folks just sorta ... away.

Then I started slowing down.  I had undiagnosed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for 7- 10 years.  My DGS bar wound up being set fairly low.  As in - I'd think "you know that used to bother me but now I Don't Give a S."

It was a definite hit. I was in my early  50's and now am mid-60's and am pretty much as back as I can be.  But no where near what I was about age 52.

Who has passed?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »
Thank you, Ken!

And thank you, Reasonable Rascal. I am another of those that were not aware of your contributions to the work. I believe it is one of the best resources available for people that might not have access to current medical services. Now, or in an uncertain future. It will make a difference in many peoples lives.

More than just an opinion. A very heartfelt Well done!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
WB, Goatlady passed in March of "16. We left her chapter untouched in tribute, and also because none of us know enough to try to improve on it.

GL lived the life, first homesteading in South Dakota, and then Arkansas. We were even enriched by her account of her experience being snakebit by a copperhead. When we do research we really do it! LOL

Yes, people have faded away. We had an entire chapter dedicated to poisonous snakebite, written by a doc attached to the Danish Army (52bravo) for one of our previous attempts that didn't pan out. This has seriously taken 11 years of effort from the time we first tried to write the revised edition until now. 12 -1/2 years since the last edition went to print.

Craig (Doc, chief author and ramrod) has already issued a call for authors to work on the next edition that he hopes we can get out in two years max. Assuming the world holds together that long.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »
RR,
I knew GoatLady had passed.  And everything you said about her is spot on.  She was kind enough to share time via email with an anal-retentive need specific measurements to enable repeatable results guy until he was able to understand that it's an Art as well as a science.

I am retired now so I do have some time, I'm available for proof reading, whatever.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.