Home Page

Your OPSEC, Your Computer and VPN's

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Your OPSEC, Your Computer and VPN's
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
I do follow the subject of VPN's (Virtual Private Networks) and my evaluation of their safety (privacy) is less than positive.

This article will give you a (moderately technical) explanation of how they work and what the problems are with respect to real privacy.

https://lifehacker.com/why-is-everyone-talking-about-vpns-1793768312

Bottom line: You have no real privacy on the internet.  Don't expect a magic button to offer privacy.

Privacy begins and ends with YOU.

As a prepper, that means that you are known for what you browse.  If this is NOT something you want made public knowledge, then don't browse for, or search for, information about prepping...

At this time, I see no solution to this failure in the system.  This failure is a deliberate design feature, not an accident which might someday be "patched".  Think "business product" with respect to your online profile, traffic and history.

My advice is to be skeptical of any claim which promises either security or privacy for online transactions.

Paranoia is your friend... 8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:12:34 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.