Home Page

Freeze Drying, Food Packaging, Smartphone Apps

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Freeze Drying, Food Packaging, Smartphone Apps
« on: March 06, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »

This week's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We talked about Freeze Drying, Food Packaging and Smartphone Apps.

Here's your link:  http://www.nnpg.net/030420_radio.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Freeze Drying, Food Packaging, Smartphone Apps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 04:20:56 PM »

Thank you, Ken.

I will put my list of apps hopefully tomorrow. I am not feeling well enough to do it right now.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
I want to thank everyone again for their suggestions for smart phone apps. Here is one of my articles about what I am doing, and how.

Smartphone Preps

This presentation is based on my experiences with a Samsung Galaxy S 4 Android Smartphone. The concepts and ideas will relate to other Android and Apple electronic platforms, but specifics will be different depending on the capability of the individual phone and which carrier is being used.

In no way do I want to imply that you depend solely on any electronic technology in the field. Always have back up and back-ups to the back-up. A Smartphone like mine can substitute for several other individual electronic devices: a stand-alone GPS/navigator, a weather instrument (to a degree, anyway), a document reader, voice recorder, camera, and video camera. But a Smartphone, and those individual devices, are still no substitute for paper and pencil, map and compass, knowledge of local weather, and paper handbooks.

I would not go out and buy a Smartphone for prepping use. However, if you already have one, why not use it to best effect?

The very basic use of a Smartphone for prepping purposes is the ability to have information at your fingertips, while connected to a cellular system or WiFi system, but more importantly, when not within service range. This will depend on the phone and the carrier. Some carriers have wider area coverage than others, and some phones have more or less un-connected capabilities.

With downloaded books, articles, .pdfs, and other data files, a whole gamut of information can be referenced whether you are in the middle of downtown or up in the mountains far away from any cell tower. Just about every prepper subject is available in some form. Two examples are the SAS Survival Manual by John “Lofty” Wiseman, and any one of a multitude of copies of FM 21-76 US Army Field Manual on Survival. These can both be used on my phone off line, at any time. The SAS Manual was a pay app, though there is a limited free version you can check out first. The version of FM 21-76 I downloaded was free.

I have quite a few other off-line available information items such as Dutch Oven cookbooks, regular camping cookbooks, hiking and mountaineering and orienteering references. Also off-line are office type programs to use for Word or other text documents, Excel and other spreadsheets, and even Power Point and other presentations formats.

You can keep your prep inventory on the phone and check prices and availability in the stores to help decide if you need to stock up at that particular price or not. And those phones that can scan product codes can make that process even easier with the right inventory program. I have what I need for that, I just have not implemented it.

And with a page scanner that converts to .pdfs, when you find useful information in various places, and it does not violate a copyright, you can scan the information into the phone as a .pdf and have it with you when you can read it later or file it away.

Then there are the on-line apps like direct access to MeetUp Group sites, various prepper forums, and just about any other web-based information site you want to pull up when you are WiFi connected. My phone can be set up as a WiFi hotspot to connect other devices to the net, including laptops, but data rates are expensive, and I seldom use the HotSpot function due to Data Bandwidth issues. Though, on the plan I have, WiFi access is free and unlimited. You will need to check that very closely before using some of the on-line applications.

Some other on-line apps include PM and other financial information and account tracking. You can check gold and silver prices whenever you are out and about and decide immediately if what you are being offered is a good deal or not. Same with stocks, currencies, and other financial instruments.

Another good on-line app to keep track of things going on in your area is AlertID. An interactive program to report events and receive notice of events as they happen that could affect your safety.

Additional apps that are not themselves usable off-line have downloadable files that can be accessed when connected and then put in memory on the phone or in the internal SD card or an external storage device.

I also have some files not active prepping related, but information I like to have handy for reference. The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers, and several other references about our government. Also, off-line dictionaries and an atlas.

I have several First-aid and medical reference works that are usable off-line, as well as some training items that are on-line only. Also, health maintenance apps and nutrition data.

There are off-line communications references, including repeater location sources, antenna information, and Morse Code Readers, some which work very well, others not so much. It will depend on the phone and the radio being used. Some on-line only apps include internet scanner apps that let you listen to various public service radio transmissions, as well as some amateur radio conversations. License training and sample tests. Even a gear catalog or two.

Now, to some of the nitty-gritty aspects and apps. These are highly dependent on the individual phone capabilities. My Galaxy S-4 was just about state of the art when I first purchased it, but even newer and more sophisticated Smartphones, iPhones, and various other connectable platforms are coming out all the time.

This phone has built in GPS, magnetic field sensor (compass), temperature gauge, atmospheric pressure sensor, relative humidity sensor, accelerometer, gravity sensor, linear acceleration sensor, gyroscope, light meter, orientation sensor, proximity sensor, and sound pressure level sensor. Of course, clock, calendar, and pretty good phone, too.

With the environmental sensors, weather forecasting is relatively straight forward, especially with the cloud ID application I have. Wind speed can be calculated by observation of things around you, and there are apps that use the microphone to calculate wind speed the microphone sound pressure level. I even have apps for heat index and wind chill factors to know when it is dangerous out. Of course, I still have to have the sense to come in out of the rain when it is coming down. Sometime that is a problem for me.

Along with the simple location feature of the GPS, when used with downloaded, off-line maps, you have a full-fledged wilderness navigation system to get you where you are headed, whether it be to point A, point B, or home. I also have an app where you can take a picture ahead of you showing the GPS coordinates and compass direction. Or use the same function as a back azimuth to help you remember where you came from and how to get back there.

The sensors in the phone also allow for various tools such as plumb bob, distance measure, bubble level, ruler, protractor, altimeter, magnifier, and a mirror function. And then there are the apps with unit converters, simple to complex calculators, counters, timers, and a bunch more I very seldom use, but are there if I need them.

Now, all of this is very good. And while some Smartphones have decent battery life, others do not. I do not consider my Smartphone a standalone device. In order for it to be truly useful in the field you need a way to keep it charged up and powered.

My system for this is a pair of spare standard batteries, (2,600mAh in my case) that I keep charged up on a separate charger at home. I usually carry one of them. For the field I add a 13,000mAh power pack and another in the backup gear. To keep them charged I have a solar power charger. This gives me, even without the solar charger, several days of conservative use, and months when the solar charger is used whenever possible to top off the power packs. Many Smartphones do not have accessible batteries so must have a power pack to recharge them if there is no access to home power or vehicle power.

All of these features are no substitute for traditional methods. I love technology, but I carry paper maps, a physical magnetic compass, binoculars, a pocket copy of the SAS Survival Manual, and never depend solely on technology.

Here is an alphabetical list of some of the prepper related apps on my phone. I often check what apps are available, as that changes all the time. I evaluate things that seem promising, and if they pan out I keep them and remove whatever they are replacing, if I already have something like it, just not as good. I am always trying out different alternatives.

1 Weather
10bii Financial calculator
3D Earthquake
AlertID
Alpine Quest
Altivario
Amazon Kindle
Anatomy learning
AndroSensor
Animated knots
Antenna Calc
Antennas
Army booby traps
Army counter sniper
Army mountain operations
Army urban operations
Articles of Freedom
ASL American Sign language
AT&T Family Map
AT&T Navigator
Ayurvedic remidies
BackCountry Navigator Pro
BarCode Scanner
Bible
Book of Mormon
Brenta Heat Index Lite
Brenta Wind Chill Lite
Bullion Tracker Lite
Buy Silver Gold
Calamity Survival guide
Camping Recipes
Civil calculator
Clinical signs
Cloud Identifier
Compass Level
Congress
Crow calls
Cures A-Z
Currency Table
Daily Roads Voyager
Dave Canterbury
Dictionary
Disaster
Disaster Alert
Disaster Readiness 2011
Disaster Survival guide
Disease Dictionary
Disease Remidies book
Drug dictionary
Earthquake Pro
Earthquake survival tips
Earthquakes
Easy Toys
EchoLink
Edible and Medicinal Plants
Elerts Reporter
Elk calls
EONW
Essential Oils
eWeather HD
Family Fallout shelter
Fast News
FBI Most Wanted
FEMA 100 Year Flood Zones
First Aid
First Aid
First Aid Manual 2013
Fishing and Hunting solunar time
Fishing Knots Lite
Flashlight
Flashlight plus
Flood
Flood Map
Flood Warn
GeoCam
Gold Live
Gold Silver
GoldCoinCalculator
Goose calls
GPS Essentials
GPS Status
Ham
Ham Radio Tools
Ham Radio Tools
Ham Test Prep
HandyCalc
Handyman calculator
Herbs
Home Remedies
HRO
Hunting calls
Hurricane
iMushroom guide free
Inclinometer free
International Code Of Signals
JCSGold
Kcast Gold Live! Widget
Kindle reader
Kingsoft Office
Liberty CPM
Lightning
Line Tools
Lunar Phase
Magnifying glass flashlight
Mallard Duck Calls
MapQuest
Maps
Medscape
Meetup
Military Acronyms
Mirror
Moose Calls
Morse code Keyboard
Morse Code Reader
Morse Decoder
Morse Player Free
Morse Talk
Morse Tools
MOUT
Muscle trigger points
NASA Space Weather
Navigation
Navigator
Noise meter
Normal lab values
Nuclear Sites Map
Nutri Explorer
Nutrition Data
Office Suite
Offline Dictionaries
OfflineMaps+
Ohms Law
Optical Reader
PalmVE
PDF Document scanner
PDF Max
PDF Merge
PDF reader
Placards
Pocket RXTX
Pocket tracker
Polaris Office 5
Precious Metal Coin Calculator Lite
Predator calls
Prepper Bible
Prepper Guide
Prepper Inventory
Preppers Info
Preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca/
Quran
Raccoon calls
Radar Now
Rates
Remedies
Repeater Directory
RepeaterBook
RiverFlows
RMaps
SASSurvival
Scan to PDF free
Scanner Radio Pro
Signals
Silver Change
Silver Prices App
SilverGold
Simple Moon Phase Widget
Smart Tools
Soldiers common tasks
Speed gun
Squirrel calls
Stocks Portfolio
Survival 3-05.70
Survival Basics
Survival Forum
Survival Guide
Survival Medicine Guide
Survival Podcast
Survival Tools
SurvivalBlogReader
SwissArmyKnife
Symptom Checker
TB Atlas
Telescope zoomer
The Art of War
The Federalist Papers
The Weather Channel
Thread pitch
Timber Calculator
Tool Box
Turkey calls
Ultimate Survival
United States Constitution
US Army Survival Guide
US Constitution
US Topo Maps
USMC Winter Survival handbook
Virginia Tech Tree ID
Visual Anatomy Free
Voice recorder
We The People
Weather Signal
Weather Station
WebMD
WebMD Baby
What Cloud
White Tailed deer calls
Wind
Wind Meter
Wolf Sounds
Woodworking utilities
World Atlas
World Factbook
World History

Now the information on the other topics I was asking about.

Some of my thoughts on ladies' needs:
Feminine needs for long term disasters

1)   PStyle/Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter for outdoor use if indoor access is limited
     2)   Hygiene needs: Packaged/ reusable sanitary napkins/ Diva Cup/ natural sponges/ cleansing wipes/ etc.
     3)   UTI notes: Many women that have had a UTI can often feel one coming on. If a woman does start the treatment as soon as possible for it to be most effective most quickly.
     4)   UTI products:
a.    Test strips (for checking for a UTI if you suspect one)
b.    Pyridium
c.    Powdered cranberry juice or pills (can be taken daily to help prevent UTIs)
d.    Apple cider vinegar (can be taken daily to help prevent UTIs)
e.    AZO (Not a cure, but can help relieve symptoms and slow down bacteria growth if the UTI is bacterial in nature. Contain the antibacterial methenamine and pain reliever sodium salicylate)
     5)   Yeast infection notes: It is usually best to a 7-day treatment rather than shorter one. Men can get yeast infections, as well. They cycle must be broken, otherwise it can go back and forth between a man and women repeatedly. Additional stress, poor hygiene conditions, and hormones often create condition that make yeast infection much more likely.
     6)   Yeast infection products:
a.    Miconazole
b.    Fluconazole pills (Fish Flucon, same as Diflucan) (Best taken at night)
c.    Acidophilus pills (for women before taking antibiotics that could cause yeast infections)
     7)   STD notes:
a.    Some STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) can be treated with antibiotics. Of the listed antibiotics many are available for purchase listed as for use in aquariums for fish.
        STD products:
a.    Chlamydia: Azithromycin, erythromycin, doxycycline
b.    Gonorrhea: Ceftriazone, cefivime, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin
c.    Syphillis: Penicillin (first choice) but if a person is allergic or it is not available then doxycycline, tetracycline
d.    Trichomoniasis: Women usually show symptoms first but the partner(s) should also start treatment. Metronidazole (Flagyl) Not in the first trimester of pregnancy. Use a cream or suppository during that time.
e.    Inflamed Pelvis Disease: ofloxacin, metronidazole, ceftriaxone, doxycycline, moxifloxacin. Usually used two together.
f.     STD primary choices for treatment: Penicillin, ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, and metronidazole, which are all useful for many other conditions. Always remember to check for allergies to antibiotics.
     9)   Advil/ Midol/ Pamprin/ Ibuprofen/ acetaminophen
 10)   Separate bucket/chemical toilet if not using conventional toilets (To avoid having to use the usually much messier men’s facilities.)
 11)   4x the toilet paper allotment used for general planning
 12)   Privacy means (curtains/ enclosures/ screens/ etc.)/ personal space/ personal closet or dresser
 13)   Sweats/loose clothing, large robes, large towels, various sizes plain underwear, sports bras
 14)   Pregnancy prevention supplies:
a.    Condoms (remember that these have a finite shelf life)
b.    Basal body temperature tracking is probably one of the best methods of tracking fertility times to help prevent pregnancy (or to get pregnant) (No method is totally accurate or foolproof or infallible):
i.       Basal body temperature tracking supplies:
ii.  Basal body temperature thermometers
iii. Basal body temperature charts
iv.   Basal body temperature tracking smartphone app/ software program
 15)   Pregnancy test kits
 16)   Baby care supplies
 17)   [font=&#38]Expedient shower methods: sun shower bags/ MSR bag shower/ pressure sprayer/ campers propane shower
 18)   Body care products: razors/ deodorant/ hand lotion/ face lotion/ body lotion
 19)   Facial products: baby wipes (no fragrance/ hypo-allergenic/ for sensitive skin)/ Pre-moistened facial cleansers
 20)   Hair care products: Non-lathering soap/ shampoo/ dry shampoo/ baby powder/ bentonite clay/ brushes/ combs/ tie backs/ bandannas/ baseball caps, etc.
 21)   Lip care products: Chapstick, Lip balm, etc.
 22)   Nail care products: nail files /emery boards/ etc.
 23)   Multiple hot water bottles
 24)   Any medical necessities for allergies, prescriptions, etc.
 25)   Comfort items: Additional coffee/ chocolate in several forms/ salty snacks/ soothing teas (chamomile, lavender, peppermint, etc.)
 26)   Anti-boredom materials: knitting/ crochet/ sewing/novels/ movies/ story teller/ sketching tools/ hobby items, etc.
 27)   Strong reading lights and a variety of strengths of reading glasses
 28)   Everything set up for easy cleaning/ rubber gloves/ aprons/long handled tools, etc.

Just my opinion.

Now, pregnancy, birth, babies, infants, and toddlers:

My thoughts on items for children:

Parts 6 & 7 from my Home Only-Aid Medical Kit:
Part #6: Pregnancy, Birthing & Infant Care Kit
My thoughts on dealing with pregnancy, birth, and post-birth situations from a prepper perspective.

This does not really address the feeding of newborns and infants, other than stating that I believe Nestle’s line of Nido baby formula and infant growth formulas are good products. This is from extensive research and not direct observation. However, the company does make a couple of products that I do use, namely their full-fat powdered milk for LTS (Long Term Storage), though it does not store as long as non-fat it does store long enough that I think fresh milk will be available by the time it reaches the non-usable point.

The lists are primarily to address pregnancy through the infant stage of having children, when any part of it, or the entire time might be under adverse conditions due to a variety of reasons.

The lists do not really cover problem pregnancies, problem births, and at-risk newborns and infants. It is pretty much for basic, few-problems situations. For anyone with a family history of problem pregnancies, difficult births, and newborn and infant survival difficulties, much more due diligence research should be done, with the help and cooperation of pediatricians, pediatric nurses, midwives, and other medical professionals whose specialties include these subjects. Follow their advice and instructions.

And, of course, the standard disclaimer. I am not a doctor of any kind, have never played one on TV or in the movies, and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, you must do your own due diligence research, and make your decisions based on your knowledge, skills, and the needs of yourself and your family. Do not take anything in this article as medical advice. Everything is simply my opinion, as always, and a starting point for people to do their own research.

Pre-pregnancy/pregnancy use items
·      Contraceptives
·      Pregnancy home testing kits
·      Pregnancy vitamins & nutrition supplements
·      Morning sickness bags (barf bags)
·      Maternity clothing in several sizes

Natural childbirth manuals
·      Emergency Childbirth By Gregory J. White Md
·      Special Delivery By Rahima Baldwin
·      Spiritual Midwifery By Ina May Gaskin
·      Ina May's Guide To Childbirth By Ina May Gaskin
·      Birth Emergency Skills Training: A Manuel For Out Of Hospital Midwifes By Bonnie Grueberg
·      Childbirth At Home By Marion Sousa
·      Heart & Hands By Elizabeth Davis
·      A Book For Midwives (Hesperian Foundation)
·      Wise Woman Herbal Childbearing By Susan S Weed

Birthing/delivery aids (reusable items):
·      Comfort support pillows
·      Blanket
·      Towels
·      Washcloth
·      Small sponge
·      Folding basin
·      Knee/leg/foot supports to help position and hold legs in proper position for easiest birth in lieu of a birthing table/bed
·      Fetal stethoscope
·      Regular stethoscope
·      BP cuff
·      Stop watch
·      Dilation measurement comparison scale
·      Fetal heart monitor if possible
·      Bed pan in case labor is extended
·      Stress/pain relief aids (things to hold or grip, straps that can be held and pulled when straining, mouth/teeth protector for clenching teeth, misting water bottle for cooling, drinking water in easy to drink container w/straw)
·      Stainless steel placenta receiving/inspection bowl
·      Baby length measuring ruler
·      Collapsing baby weight scale
·      Baby footprint/handprint inking pad & roller
·      Birth record documents
·      Mother's after birth vanity toiletries (comb, brush, mirror, bobby pins, pony tail ties/ribbons/ scrunchy, face cleansing cream/moisturizer, etc.)
·      Some type/form of robe or closing in case original clothing is dirty, soiled, or damaged

Birthing kit (single use - have several)
·      Large square of plastic or large plastic bag
·      Blanket
·      Small individual antiseptic soap
·      Dilation measurement comparison scale
·      10 cleansing towellettes
·      Mouth/teeth protector for clenched teeth
·      1 pencil/pen
·      4 adhesive tape id strips
·      1 patient delivery gown
·      2 attendant delivery gowns
·      5 surgical masks
·      5 pairs of surgical gloves
·      1 36" x 36" receiving blanket
·      2 newborn diapers
·      1 sanitary napkin support belt
·      4 wrapped sanitary napkins
·      1 sterilized scissors/ scalpel/ razor blade (for cutting umbilical cord)
·      1 pair episiotomy scissors (if episiotomy procedure is needed)
·      4 sterilized umbilical tie tapes or sterile umbilical cord clamps (1 1/2" from belly, only after cord stops pulsing, thins, and goes from bluish to white)
·      4 sterilized cotton balls
·      1 sterilized eye, nose & throat clearing syringe
·      1 bottle sterile eye wash
·      4 sterilized diaper safety pins
·      1 3" gauze roll bandage
·      6 4" gauze compresses
·      Chux/underpads (to lay out instruments and supplies)
·      Placenta receiving/inspection bowl (inexpensive plastic okay for disposable kits and can be kit container)
·      4 small trash bags (for placenta disposal, double bagged, mother/ father/ family may want special handling and disposal)
·      Handprint/footprint ink cleaning towelettes
·      Birth record documents
·      Mother's after birth vanity toiletries kit
(The sterilized items to be carried in a sterilized package)
(Complete package carried in the square of plastic or plastic bag)

Useful herbals for before, during, & after childbirth:
·      Shepherds purse (for hemorrhage)
·      Motherwort
·      Black and blue cohosh   
Infant care items:
·      Baby bag
·      Diapers (disposable in all sizes)
·      Diapers, fabric, conventional
·      Diapers, fabric, easy care
·      Diaper safety pins (and alternative diaper closures)
·      Rubber pants (lots of them unless going diaperless)
·      Feeding aids (nursing bras, privacy cover, breast cleaning items, clean-up items, burp towels, leakage pads, trash bags, etc.)
·      Bottles& nipples, conventional (Kleen Kanteen stainless steel)
·      Bottles& nipples, disposables
·      Electric/battery breast pump & parts, including additional power
·      Manual breast pump & parts
·      Breast milk storage bottles
·      Milk/ formula refrigeration means (electric/ non-electric)
·      Formula, Nido brand formula mix & distilled water or milk & additives
·      Infant vitamins & supplements
·      Feeding sling (and other feeding aids)
·      Manual baby food grinder/processor (some regular food processors do not get food fine enough, and blenders usually require liquids to work)
·      Baby wipes
·      Baby powder
·      Baby oil
·      Diaper rash ointment
·      Teething rings, teething pain relief medicines (Oragel, Hyland's teething tablets)
·      Pedialyte for dehydration - available in powder form
·      Infant Motrin, Tylenol, infant cold medicine
·      Blankets, onesies, head coverings
·      Pacifiers (multiple types and several of them)
·      Thermometer (forehead or anal)
·      Safety seat/carrier (several sizes)
·      Stroller/ baby carriage (with good protective features for sun, wind, rain, cold)
·      Baby carry pack, front carry
·      Baby carry pack, rear carry
·      Baby carry pack/wrap, side/hip carry
·      Pacifier, bottle, toy, etc. tethers so when the baby throws something, it will not be lost, and often will not even get dirty
·      A set of cleaning items to include baby wipes, misting spray bottle, towels, etc.

Part # 7: Pediatric Specific Kit
·      Insulated storage container
·      Ailment explanation/indication dolls & diagrams
·      Distracting/occupying toys & games
·      Good behavior rewards
·      Children's fever thermometers
·      Non-sting first-aid ointment
·      Bandaids (children's decorated versions)
·      Smaller tongue depressors
·      Smaller finger splints
·      Dosage measuring dispensers
·      Decorative/festive paper cups
·      Plastic spoons
·      Smaller ear & nose syringes
·      Extra syrup of ipecac (check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
·      Toothache ointment
·      Children's eye wash bottle w/extra bottles of wash
·      Children's eye drops
·      Children's ear wash
·      Children's ear drops
·      Children's nasal spray
·      Children's lip balm
·      Children's pain killer
·      Children's laxative
·      Children's diarrhea medication
·      Children's antacid
·      Children's cough medicine
·      Children's cold remedy
·      Safety seat/carrier
·      (plus any additional children's specific disease/ailment requirements needed on a regular or semi-regular basis by any member of the family)
End of Medical Kit list

Suggestions for a school kit for responsible children
     1)   Separate bag inside a Kevlar lined backpack
     2)   Laminated ID w/picture, name, home address, telephone number, alternate address and telephone number of close relative with their pictures and names.
     3)   Another laminated card w/home address and telephone number and parents cell phone numbers
     4)   List of safe houses if parents aren’t available with names, addresses and telephone numbers. Telephone number of a taxi service that is trusted.
     5)   City map with home and relatives’ addresses marked, along with the list of safe houses.
     6)   A small coin purse with a ten dollar bill, a five dollar bill, five ones, plus coins. (Money primarily for paying for a taxi. Including a signed note that offered a reward to get the bearer safely to one of the addresses on the laminated cards. The change is primarily for vending machines or pay phone (If any still exist)
     7)   Prepaid cell phone if the school allows.
        Telephone card (Use at least once a month under supervision so the child knows how)
     9)   2 boxes juice, packet of trail mix, packet of jerky, hard candies.
 10)   2 small bottles of water
 11)   Windup LED flashlight
 12)   Space blanket & disposable poncho
 13)   Change of underwear, knit cap, pair of warm gloves in vacuum sealed bag
 14)   Camper’s pack of toilet tissue
 15)   Individual moist towelettes
 16)   One-ounce bottle of Purell for sanitation if regular bathroom facilities aren’t available
 17)   Couple of band-aids and two larger patch bandages
 18)   Over-the-counter medications (only if allowed by school)
 19)   Packet of tissues for runny noses
 20)   Whistle and signal mirror
 21)   Dust mask and swimming goggles for dust, smoke, or fumes
 22)   Bicycle helmet for protection in tornados, earthquakes, etc.
 23)   Lighter and pocket knife if allowed by school (used monthly to keep in practice)
 24)   Memorize three code words. One to use to indicate it is the parent’s instructions, by them or trusted family and friends to give or receive information or be picked up. A second word that means to keep doing whatever it is you are doing, primarily meaning stay where you are. A third word to mean to follow the Get Home Plan.

Children’s Bug-out bag
Some of these are probably a bit counter to what some might suggest, but I try to explain my thinking. These are the basic items, geared more for the 3-year old to 10-year old, and as the basis of more advanced kits.

One might think the smallest, lightest, most compact items possible would be a good choice. I disagree. Until the child reaches the age and, more importantly, the responsibility level, where they can use a knife and lighter under supervision, and then carry and use on their own responsibly, and will have enough things that start adding up to some real weight, I would go with easy to use, hand-filling, cold finger usable items. And I'm going to suggest very specific items, for very specific reasons. 
     1)   Whistle - The big orange Storm Whistle from Survival ResourcesIt is big enough for smaller, probably cold hands, to hold easily and firmly, and it is loud. They aren't likely to lose it, and it will come to mind because it is big. And orange.
     2)   Space blanket - The big red, hooded, heavy duty space blanket from Survival Resources
 It is big enough to really wrap up in. It isn't flimsy and hard to control and handle. It is hooded to protect the head. It is red and can easily be seen. It has the hand pockets to control it while still keeping them protected. It is sturdy enough to be practiced with, re-folded, and put back in the kit.
     3)   Food - 4 boxes Horlick's Malt tablets (each box is 3-packets of 9-tablets each) from Amazon
 There are plain as well as chocolate versions. Whichever the child likes best. To the kids this can be candy, like M&Ms or Tootsie Rolls. But it is actually a very nutritious food, used by early 20th century Arctic/Antarctic explorers and as emergency rations through and after WW II. With the 9-tablet packets, it is less likely the child will automatically just eat all of it at once. The child can spread the food out over time, keeping energy levels up without sugar crash. And for those that might have difficulty opening the packets, the tablets can be repackaged into plastic tubes, and rotated every six months or so.
     4)   Water - 4 boxes 250ml Aqua Blox from Amazon
4 small boxes rather than one larger container that might be used all at once, or if spilled or left, the entire supply is lost. The containers are the same as the fruit and other drink boxes with a straw attached that is inserted into the box to drink. Most children have already mastered this. If not, some practice and they will be able to do it.
     5)   Sanitation #1 – Charmin camper’s roll toilet from Amazon
 There is a good chance the child will need to go to the bathroom. And will not be skilled enough to find safe and effective emergency wipes.
     6)   Sanitation #2 - 10 Purell sanitizing hand wipes from Amazon
 For sanitizing the hands after going to the bathroom or handling anything that might be contaminated in the field.
     7)   Light/comfort - 6 or more Light sticks from Amazon
 As much for comfort in the evening as anything. But also signaling. Get several extra so the child can have a chance to see how they work and to use them so there will be less temptation to use the ones in the pack before they are needed. Have at least 2 white for actually seeing at night (only 8 hour), 2 green for longer comfort time (12 hour), and 2 red strictly for signaling (12 hour) when they know someone is close at night. Have a stout string with them, with loops tied into each end. Teach the child how to loop the red light stick onto the string and whirl it around slowly in a vertical circle. This is a much better signal than just holding it or waving it around.

Container - Whatever type of child's back pack or book bag of appropriate size suitable that will please and suit the child. This is could be a very personal decision. Or if in a group, something uniform to add cohesion and camaraderie among the individuals. 
Some Comfort Items:
Babies:
Diaper rash ointment
Baby powder
Pacifiers
Teething rings, teething pain relief medicines (Oragel, Hyland's teething tablets)
Pedialyte for dehydration - available in powder form
Infant Motrin, Tylenol, infant cold medicine

Children:
Stuffed animal
Small lightweight toys
Playing cards or travel games
Crayons, coloring book
Puzzle book, crosswords, word finds
Favorite book
Baseball or Nerf football
Harmonica
Ipod or small device for playing games or music
Hard candy, bubble gum

Just my opinion.[/font]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:00:04 PM by Jerry D Young »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »
Wow, this is an incredible list of great info. Thanks!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions