Home Page

Ham radio repeaters being banned in California?

Ham radio repeaters being banned in California?
« on: October 20, 2019, 04:19:48 AM »
Saw this on Youtube under the title of ham radio repeaters banned in Calif. two days ago? And in the info section of the poster are these 2 articles:

http://www.shastadefense.com/FAX-CalFireHamRadio20190923.pdf

http://www.shastadefense.com/Sheriffemail20190926.pdf
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Ham radio repeaters being banned in California?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
I read both pdfs.
The Tom Bosenco Sheriff reply had all the information I needed to form my conclusion:The repeaters are toast.
"this is not a new matter and the issue of repeater equipment in state radio vaults has been going on for five or more years.""As such, this gets down to authorization for vault space, clearances and authorization to access equipment in the vaults and contract agreements for the equipment to be in the vaults.   The matter of cost and who will bear the cost for contracts and vault space has also been an issue for years."
"Please be advised for emergencies in Shasta County such as evacuations due to fires that is the responsibility of the Sheriff’s Office. We work closely in collaboration and communication with Cal Fire on such matters.  In the meantime, be patient and await a response.  This email is an update for you, a response by you is not necessary at this time until further information is obtained"
Basically - STFU it ain't your worry and we'll do what we want. Again, the repeaters are toast.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »

I am confused (not an unusual state of being for me). Zelif's e-mail appears to be about mountain top repeaters in place. Are these on county or state land or on private land? Are the repeaters co-located with county and/or state equipment on county and/or state owned and installed towers and equipment in county and/or state owned buildings with the towers?

The sheriff's e-mail refers to repeaters in vaults that require access. Does that mean actual repeater equipment installed in the county's vaults for use during emergencies, or back-up equipment in case installed repeaters go down? Or does he not know the difference and the equipment in the vaults are Amateur Radios that are brought out to be used in the facility to access the repeaters on the mountain tops?

If equipment is taking up space in vaults, that is one thing. However, equipment already installed on remote sites, that is not taking up limited space in buildings owned and maintained by the county and/or state, would be a different thing entirely. If the county and/or the state needs more space for their own equipment, that the Amateur gear installations prevent them from using, that is one thing, as well. As opposed to there being plenty of room in the buildings for expansion by the county/state and Amateur gear, too.

I am not getting a clear picture of this situation at all.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
I posted a youtube vid in general a couple of days ago I understood this was CA just wanting to get rid of HAM repeaters because of lack of faith in its usefulness and want of more funds. This I thought was just about access to useful sites.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:13:03 AM »

That is kind of what it sounds like. It is a good thing we are not a doomsday prepper site or I would think of a few other things it could be. lol

Thanks beorn.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)