Home Page

Prepping For Beginners - Your 72 Hour Kit

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Prepping For Beginners - Your 72 Hour Kit
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Last week's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We continued our Prepping For Beginners Series by discussing how to put together your 72 hour kit and why this is so important.
Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/042518_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript:

KG7MZO - Glenda joined the channel
Josh K7ZIM joined the channel
7:56:23 PM
K9RVM Rob
You sound great with a loud and clear signal Fred. Listening to you on the other net, it sounded like it was cutting off the beginning of your callsign.
7:56:34 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good evening gentlemen
7:56:56 PM
K9RVM Rob
Good evening Glenda
7:57:25 PM
Josh K7ZIM
My web search for nnpg.net yeilded 0 results! I had to type the full name to find the page. Very interesting indeed.
And good evening everyone!
7:57:48 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Tonight topic is a continuation of our Prepping for Beginners - 72 Hour Kits
7:58:35 PM
K9RVM Rob
Josh, just checked and google brought it up. Odd you didn't see it.
7:58:48 PM
lmedelli joined the channel
7:59:05 PM
Josh K7ZIM
I dont use google, i use startpage. Could be why.
7:59:27 PM
lmedelli
Hey all 
7:59:29 PM
K9RVM Rob
Good evening Imedell. Tonight's topic is a continuation of our Prepping for Beginners - 72 Hour Kits
7:59:51 PM
lmedelli
awesome, thanks for filling me in
8:00:05 PM
K9RVM Rob
Glad to have you on tonight
8:00:47 PM
TWP joined the channel
8:00:54 PM
TWP
Hi All
8:00:54 PM
lmedelli
Happy to be here, looking forward
8:01:23 PM
K9RVM Rob
Good evening TWP. Tonight's topic is a continuation of our Prepping for Beginners - 72 Hour Kits
8:01:54 PM
TWP
Thanks Rob, I got Kens notice of topic
8:10:24 PM
Josh K7ZIM
For 72hr bags i just do bare necessities to last 3 days. Food, water, fire and shelter. My good bags have many other things.
8:11:38 PM
TWP
Josh, same here.  It would be a severe crisis if I could not grab my larger (G.O.O.D) pack, and the 72 hr kit.
8:12:58 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Right twp, if your stuck at home no need for a bag. But we do have quick kits for temp evacs.
8:13:29 PM
K9RVM Rob
Using the kit and tailoring to the family has been an easy process but it really requires working with it and conducting "at home" exercises to make sure if suits you.
8:14:09 PM
Josh K7ZIM
True rob. Many trials and errors.
8:14:50 PM
lmedelli
I need more practice (and love the idea) of working out of the pack for a weekend/trial/camping trip.  That's a great idea!
8:14:55 PM
TWP
We've had one evacuation here (fire dept. cleared the building due to forest fire getting close).  We grabbed our full packs AND the 72 hr kits.  We had about 5-6 minutes to get out.
8:15:41 PM
lmedelli
will be giving the at home theory a few run through for sure
8:16:05 PM
TWP
If the building was on fire, I'd still try to take both pack and kti.
8:17:50 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I enjoyed working out of my vehicle kit on one of our camps we did a  couple of summers ago.   I learned a lot from that weekend and felt more secure about my pack
8:17:55 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Ya we can pack out in 20ish. Depending on the kids. I have their packs made easy. They get to pack up clothes and blankets as they are lighter and they already have packs for school. They just dump out school stuff and start grabbing clothes and blankets.
8:18:17 PM
K9RVM Rob
Twice a year, summer and winter, we conduct a 48 hour drill where we shut off utilities, water and simulate not having basic services. We still go about the normal course of our day as best as possible but having the electricity shut off changes the dynamic of a typical weekend. We work solely out of our 72-hour Earthquake kit to make sure that everything works for us as well as it provides us a chance to rotate the items in the kit. It's always a learning experience but we also find it a fun drill to conduct. It nice at times to unplug a bit, even for a short weekend.
8:20:01 PM
lmedelli
Glenda, you make a great point, having the opportunity to work out of the pack helps to build the security about the contents of the pack. 
8:20:39 PM
K9RVM Rob
My most significant learning experience is always how much water I ultimately end up using, regardless of how careful I am about it. It seems to be the one thing I know I tend to underestimate so I know to have more water than I think I would need to have and I still get to the last reserves of it each time.
8:21:12 PM
lmedelli
Rob, the idea of turning off all the utilities is a great one for a pre determined period. I'm sure there are a lot of "oh yeah" kind of moments that require a brief course correct.
8:21:16 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
It definitely boosted my confidence more than anything else.  I packed it well and was pleasantly surprised at how well I did.  Only minor tweaks have been meeded
8:21:13 PM
TWP
Rob, one big impact on a 48 hr training session is that we'd be offline for that time.  For those who have an online life, like ours, that is a serious hurdle and would be good practice.
8:21:40 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
lmedelli - I have done that too.  HUGE learning moment
We'll talk about that at work.  I'll give you the details
I did a bit more than what Rob has recommended
8:22:11 PM
lmedelli
TWP, great point, so many of us are so "connected" it's huge hurdle for many.
8:22:15 PM
K9RVM Rob
I failed to mention on the air that having a copy of your ID/driver's license and a copy of a credit card, as well as a little cash for gas or hot food is a handy thing to have in the 72-hour kit.
8:23:38 PM
lmedelli left the channel (timeout)
8:23:41 PM
TWP
Good Idea Rob, I've only got my id in my main backpack.  Fix that soonest.
8:24:33 PM
lmedelli joined the channel
8:24:47 PM
lmedelli
I got kicked out! system error... ugh
8:25:44 PM
TWP
Stuff happens.  Send a period (.) every couple of minutes.  It seems to help prevent the timeout.
8:25:52 PM
Josh K7ZIM
It happens sometimes no worries.
8:26:22 PM
TWP
Or you can just babble a lot like I do <g>
8:26:39 PM
lmedelli
no worries.
TWP. thanks for your honesty?  ~smile~ 
8:27:20 PM
AC1BN
8:27:57 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Would it count if you used solar chargers for electronick when practising grid down weekend?
Electronics
8:28:19 PM
TWP
Please ask Jerry if he has a brand name for the modular packs.
8:28:28 PM
lmedelli
Yes! that's a great solution
.Question for all ya'all.. what is the one entertainment item you keep in your 72 hr bag? For me, it's a deck of cards. Solitaire baby!
8:29:17 PM
TWP
Josh, certainly.  I know of several small solar powered lights.  They are area lighting tools for paths and garden spaces.
8:29:19 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Also solar yard lights work for lighting in home for that too.
8:29:27 PM
K9RVM Rob
I have several friends who would not consider themselves prepper who have kids and they live in earthquake country. They put together their kits and then spent a day and night living room camping with the kids to help them understand what might happen but in a safe and family friendly environment. They enjoy the family time and it makes it a bonding moment for them.
8:29:51 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Yatzee, cards, boggle, dominos, farkle.
8:30:20 PM
K9RVM Rob
all the clasics
8:30:23 PM
TWP
Dominos for sure.  What is "farkle"?
8:30:26 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Josh - I have put together a small travel game bag
8:30:40 PM
lmedelli
farkle?
8:30:47 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Its a dice game.
Small and lightweight
8:31:57 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I have picked up all sorts of  travel size games - checkers, Chutes and Ladders, Yahtzee, Dominoes, Jenga, Simon Says, Connect 4, Clue - all are travel size!
8:31:54 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Glenda, i have a bunch of small games in my big duffle and at least a deck of cards in each bag. The plastic waterproof ones are awesome!
8:32:02 PM
lmedelli
I had to google.... similar in category to Yahtzee...
8:32:21 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
We've had lots of fun with these games whenever out camping or on a road trip
8:32:28 PM
lmedelli
Glenda,  that's awesome!
8:32:29 PM
Josh K7ZIM
I was thinking of adding some d&d books and dice for long period bug outs.
8:32:40 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I am always on the look out for pocket, travel-sized games
I have table top bowling and horseshoes!!
8:33:02 PM
lmedelli
D&D books would be sweet... (nerds unite!)
8:33:14 PM
K9RVM Rob
Another idea is a book you've been meaning to read or an old favorite worth visiting again. Waiting out an event tends to be long and boring. It's worth adding to your kit if you know you might be stuck somewhere without power and utilities for a while.
8:33:21 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Vic has a video of a talk I did and showed off that bag
8:33:23 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Right! Thats what i thought! Lol!
8:33:37 PM
lmedelli
lol.   Wouldn't a book be heavy?
8:34:08 PM
TWP
a book weighs less than a liter of water.
8:34:23 PM
lmedelli
perspective I didn't consider ... nice call TWP
8:34:24 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Get a kindle and load all kinds of books ffor free on it. Not fool proof but itll works for a few years.
8:36:00 PM
TWP
Ask for modular system brand name?
8:36:03 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
I use an old iphone with the a kindle app with lots of books pre-downloaded
8:36:50 PM
K9RVM Rob
I ended up adding a battery charger that allows me to recharge my phone. It recharges on a standard USB connection and will charge a phone up 2 1/2 times. It's been a handy item to have.
8:37:01 PM
lmedelli
an old device is a very smart idea.. other doc could be kept on it too (or a compatible flash drive)
8:37:22 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Me too, especially after air travel
The battery charger
8:37:53 PM
lmedelli
I have one of those chargers.. Hubby uses it religiously.... he keeps it on him almost daily. Best $20 ever spent
8:38:00 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
came in handy when flights were weather delayed
8:38:30 PM
K9RVM Rob
I've also found I was a bit starved for information in a few circumstances and a small transistor radio really came in handy.
8:38:55 PM
lmedelli
the am/fm type?
8:39:13 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Yes a crank up radio is a must ron!
8:39:35 PM
K9RVM Rob
yes Imedell. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just a means to tune into the talk news stations or get weather updates.
8:40:18 PM
lmedelli
thanks for the clarification 
8:40:20 PM
K9RVM Rob
We try to keep the kit small, portable, very simple and just enough to meet all of our basic needs and comfort.
8:41:11 PM
lmedelli
the modular set up makes sense to me.  it helps to keep my "Type A" brain organized
8:41:15 PM
K9RVM Rob
Carrying around a large box or pack in an emergency gets awkward quickly.
8:42:53 PM
TWP
Rob, it's a tough call.  I like some of the items in my larger pack and duplicates are bulky.
8:43:03 PM
K9RVM Rob
I tend to follow the standard of "carry on luggage" size as a rule of thumb.
8:43:38 PM
TWP
Shoes are an example.  Two pairs of boots are both heavy and bulky
8:43:49 PM
lmedelli
As someone said earlier, I guess it all really personal preference.   Great rule of thumb
8:43:52 PM
K9RVM Rob
It's important to remember we're only talking about a basic kit. Most folks are going to stay put near their home.
8:44:14 PM
lmedelli
or be evacuated for a brief duration, (the local school, etc)
8:44:49 PM
K9RVM Rob
Seldom would you be away from home for more than a couple of days. Most often you'll be either staying at home or back at home within a short amount of time.
8:45:28 PM
Josh K7ZIM
Great net glenda thanks! And great info and ideas everyone! Have a great week!
8:46:02 PM
TWP
Good chat session too.
8:46:07 PM
AC1BN left the channel (quit)
8:46:08 PM
TWP
Thanks Glenda
8:46:17 PM
lmedelli
Thanks Glenda.. (and everyone) great converdation!
8:46:43 PM
Josh K7ZIM left the channel (timeout)
8:46:55 PM
K9RVM Rob
Goodnight all. Thanks for joining tonight.
8:47:07 PM
TWP
Night Rob.
8:47:15 PM
TWP left the channel (30d11da73aa0cca030a494ea9bbfa0013fe01f8f)
8:47:54 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Thanks everyone.  Trying to catch up on conversation
8:47:57 PM
lmedelli left the channel (quit)
K9RVM Rob left the channel (timeout)
8:47:57 PM
KG7MZO - Glenda
Good net.
Goodnight!!