Home Page

We Talked About Prepper Gadgets And Decoder Rings!

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.

Here's your link:   http://www.nnpg.net/111517_radio.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: We Talked About Prepper Gadgets And Decoder Rings!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
Thanks Ken

I missed the part about the decoder rings...

I'd also add to the list of "gadgets"; a camera mounting drone for surveillance.  I'd be looking for the quietest model available.  These are high maintenance toys, but they may have a place in a crisis.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
I mentioned quite a few 'gadgets' that I have and use. Of course, the term is open to some discussion. Not everyone will consider everything I do a gadget. I think for many, a gadget has to 'do something'. Many of mine are very static, and only do what  I cause it to do.

Some of the things I thought of (very momentarily, apparently, since I forgot them by the time I opened my mouth again) are such items. The various Ready-Man wallet cards. Several versions, each one with some useful items.

The same goes for the folding wallet knife. And credit card size Fresnel lens. I carry a couple of different flashlights. Not sure either qualifies as a gadget, but I consider them such, as they provide me with functionality that is hard to get otherwise, in such small packages. One of these is a Maglite Solitaire single AAA cell LED bulb flashlight.

Another flashlight that does not require additional batteries is a 5v powered LED keychain flashlight. It, like the lighter can be recharged with anything that will charge up a cell phone using the micro B connector will charge it, as well as the lighter I mentioned during the net. And a couple of gadgets that factor in on those is a solar charge power pack to recharge phones. And you can get power packs that need to be recharged, just to carry extra power with you.

Is a money belt a gadget? I am not sure. But I can tell you, a good leather money belt can carry a great deal more than a few FRNs. Coins up to the size of a US quarter fit into mine. If the coins carried are silver or gold, you might just have what is needed to move through a check point or cross a border.  Add some of the FRNs, and you have several options covered. Plus, small versions of various other things can also be carried. Handcuff keys, slim flexible blades, important information, even a few pills.

An additional way to carry some of the items are in another item I consider a gadget. Geocaching tubes. Plain ones can hold the listed items, as well as a few survival supplies, and fit on a key ring in the smaller sizes. Larger ones can be snapped onto a belt loop with a snap attached. There are geocache tube/containers that are made to look like many different common objects, so things can be stored in them and cached, nearly in plain site.

Some of the very small multi-tools and Swiss Army Knives might be considered gadgets. I consider mine as such. A Leatherman Micra, a Gentleman's SAK, a Swiss Tool folding pocket tool, with several others are all gadgets to me.

My multi-tool eye-glass tool, along with a small geocache tube is a set of gadgets that help me maintain my glasses. I do not really consider eyeglass cleaning wipes gadgets, but keepers, I do. With a keep on my glass  and/or sunglasses, I am not nearly as likely to lose them if I fall, or take some other abuse.

My pocket size Redi-edge knife sharpener is a gadget, that like several already mentioned, I carry daily. Not sure I consider the tube whistle, P-51 can opener, bottle opener and flip top can lid ring lifter.

Some of the gadgets that are part of my camping gear slash prep supplies, are several items that nest or otherwise go with my Kleen Kanteen stainless steel 40 ounce water bottles with flip down D-ring cap. The consist, in part, of a pair of Olicamp stainless steel folding handle cups (which have graduations marked so I can measure the correct amount of water for my instant grits. A round stainless steel stove nests over one of the cups, and a cup lid resides in the inside top lid of the 4" x 10" water bottle carrier that carries the rest of it, plus two long MRE spoons. In the pocket of the carrier are a 2-ounce screw top tin in which I burn the gel fuel for the stove, along with sticks and what not when I have them. A couple of formed spring Light My fire Grandpa's fire fork (which is a hot dog (and squirrel) cooker that is just the prongs that slip onto a small stick or branch).

There are quite a few more items I want to list, but just like the night of the net, I am fading fast, and my brain is shutting down. I will add to this gadget list when I am feeling better and can actually think again.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
I knew I was forgetting a couple of important things.

FT Lab is the maker of the radiation probe. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Geiger-Counter-Smartphones-Radiation/dp/B00ZEVTGJ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510970622&sr=8-2&keywords=smart+geiger

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
Ah ha!  That was what I asked for in the chat room.  Thanks Jerry.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.