Home Page

Power and Heat Generation in Nevada - Threat Considerations

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Power and Heat Generation in Nevada - Threat Considerations
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
Since Jerry and I have been working on our respective Threat Analysis spreadsheets, I started looking at power sources for our local (Reno) area.

It seems that the geothermal plants in the state, both electrical and heat producers, are having some financial difficulties.

One reference is the NY Times (not the most reliable source) article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/03/business/a-us-backed-geothermal-plant-in-nevada-struggles.html

This has several factors driving it, but (IMO) the biggest one is that many of these plants were opened and operating under some Federal Grant support.  Those grants may be expiring with no renewal plans... ::)

In other words, they were not economical at the prices they are charging for their power.  Why this might be the case is not being made clear, but I will assume that they might be slightly (a lot) "top heavy" in terms of exactly where the money goes...  I make no claims that this is true, but history supports my assumption.

The end result at the consumer lever (you and I) is the prospect of higher local energy costs.

So unless you have a personal geothermal well on your property (don't I wish), your plans should include the possibility of a significant increase in power costs.

We have or had several private geothermal plants in the city local area, for example the PepperMill Resort, the, now demolished, Moana Pool, the soon to close community heating system in SE Reno and possible others that I've not yet found.

FYI
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.