Home Page

Thread Post - Cooking Old Pinto Beans

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Thread Post - Cooking Old Pinto Beans
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
I've had this problem; old pinto beans do not soften on cooking.

This is a solution (not tested) posted as a thread on another forum.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=753857

I will be testing this at some future time when I have old pinto beans to be cooked...

NOTE:  the trick seems to be bringing the water to a boil BEFORE adding the beans.

read the article for the multi-step process instructions.

I note they use baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) in fairly large amounts for this... I've NOT had success using this and I don't like the flavor it produces...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Thread Post - Cooking Old Pinto Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
It is all because the seed coat becomes tougher and more impermeable to water.

Baking soda (1 teaspoon/qt) can reduce the cooking time by nearly 75% as it contains sodium and in addition to being alkaline. Alkalinity facilitates the dissolving of the cell-wall hemicelluloses as in producing hominy from dry corn. In the case of “hard” beans, both salt and baking soda will speed cooking.

The main drawback of baking soda is that it affects the taste, texture and can also result in destruction of a lot of nutrients. A better was would be to just pressure cook them although that still takes time. The quickest way is to grind the beans and cook them. 

Grind pinto beans until fine using a food grinder. Place in a saucepan, and whisk in salt, cumin, chili powder, and warm water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook until thick, about 15 minutes. When the mixture has thickened, stir and cook for 4 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salsa. Serve as a dip, or use as filling for burritos
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions