Home Page

Article - 25 Survival Foods You Forgot to Buy

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - 25 Survival Foods You Forgot to Buy
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
Disclaimer: some of these "foods" are just not good prepper food stocks....  That being said, some of them ARE good prepper foods.

Remember the prepper mantra:  "Stock what you eat and eat what your stock"  Some of the foods in this list, while good for you, may not be a part of your regular diet.  You do want to avoid "food shock" from a sudden change in the kinds and flavors of food you normally eat.  Think constipation and the need to eat more calories than normal...

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/survival-foods-forgot-buy/

If you are not using coconut oil, it is a very good oil for cooking.  It will also be hard / impossible to find in a PAW.  How much can you reasonably store and how long will that last?

DO CONSIDER keeping seed quality grains so you can grow more of whatever grains you want to eat...  That means grains which will grow in your climate.

Finally, Ramen is poor quality food.  Period.  It is not even close to being a complete source of nutrition...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - 25 Survival Foods You Forgot to Buy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
My comments on
25 Survival Foods You Forgot to Buy

1. Bouillon Cubes – extremely useful but I would buy loose in jars (cheaper) and not just in chicken or beef flavor add at least ham flavor too. If you need to stretch stews, soups and beans (and you may) bouillon will improve it. Also, if you need to use wild birds, squirrel or other meats unfamiliar to your family, bouillon add a familiar flavor. If you are making fried corn mush and want a meat flavor, substitute bouillon for salt.   

2. Millet – easier to grow than wheat (gluten free too) and grows well on poor dry soils.

3. Kamut – the cultivar of wheat I grow and it makes acceptable bread and excellent pasta with a type of gluten easier to digest.

4. Vanilla Extract – good sweet vanilla flavoring to break food monotony extract is good but also comes as a powder.

5. Coconut Oil – I have found a shelf life of 10+ years myself and defiantly healthiest oil to cook with. Healing in itself but I use it as a base for my herbal ointments because it just stay good for years.

6. Ramen Noodles – Love them but they do not last forever spaghetti stores much better. 

7. Honey – great stuff but expensive vs. sugar for sweetening but has many very good medical uses.

8. Cocoa Powder- coco butter free to last 30+ years. Chocolate is great to store if you have children or lots of woman folk.

9. Popcorn – make for a tasty, quick snack but it interbreeds with my flour corn all too easily so I store it.

10. Jello – Jello powder is just gelatin, sugar (or artificial sweetener) and artificial flavors. You might find that storing components unflavored gelatin, Kool-Aid and sugar might be more flexible.

11. Pudding Mixes – good comfort food. Again, instant pudding is gelatinized starch and flavoring

12. Taco Seasoning – good idea

13. Yeast – Capturing wild yeast makes good sourdough bread but for everything else you will want commercial yeast in storage and maiming a yeast starter and preserve that to stretch it out.

14. Powdered Milk – a necessity!

15. Powdered Eggs – most powdered eggs don’t taste very good,

16. Instant Coffee – shelf life of 30+ years, I know this for a fact for at least for freeze dries stored in a glass and steel jar.

17. Protein Bars – Special purpose and bug out bag use, IMO.

18. Canned Tuna – defiantly get oil not only for the calories but because datary fats will be in short supply.

19. Tang – I don’t know about Tang: ingredients: citric acid, sodium citrate, sucralose , gum arabic, contains less than 2% of natural and artificial flavor, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5, yellow 6, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate.  Kool-Aid and a multivitamin might be cheaper.

20. Kool-Aid – Kool-Aid with a little sugar would be a nice break from plain water. Also enhances the color and taste appeal of homemade wine for trade.   

21. Raisins –defiantly, but most are too moist to store really well long term. We re-dry them until they are crispy.

22. Maple Syrup –Good stuff but way too costly to store much; better to store maple flavored extract and white sugar, IMO.

23. Pancake Mix – Better to store components (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, powdered milk, powdered raw eggs and coconut oil (butter substitute).

24. Canning and Pickling Salt –iodized salt can be used just fine but makes liquids look cloudy. Rather than canning and pickling, store flaked or kosher salt instead which is better for meat preservation and works for canning and pickling too.

25. Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas) – Are usually premium prices beans any dry bean will do the job.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
You correct about Raman, it doesn't keep 4 months before going rancid.  Keeping it frozen might help some.

If you can vacuum pack it or seal with an oxygen absorber, that will keep the oils from going rancid.  I'm not convinced that Raman is worth the time, effort and expense.

I'm not a fan of Raman (too much in college years) so even if we have it, I don't think about using it before it goes bad...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
I use Raman as a base for a breakfast soup but after adding onion, chives, garlic, kale, turmeric and half a dozen other spices, it is actually healthy. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
Are you familiar with the recipe for Stone Soup? ;D

Just pour your modified Raman through a colander, toss the drained Raman noodles in the dog bowl and drink the remaining, nicely flavored soup... ::)

This food item has now become a valid prepper food.  It is light, it supplies our salt needs and it can feed our pets while we still get to eat good food...  A lesson has been learned.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:07:40 PM »
Raman through a colander, toss the drained Raman noodles in the dog bowl

Maybe use it as bait for Left Wing Intellectuals?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions