Home Page

Article - Food Supply: What Emergency Food Do You Need In A 72-Hour Kit?

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Some good ideas in this article.  You can easily expand this to a 7 day kit or longer.  Please note my comments below.

https://thepreppingguide.com/72hr-food-supply/

I will note the need to rotate these foods an a regular basis, particularly if your kit is kept in a place which can become too warm for parts of the day, such as your car or even just a closet shelf.

If you plan on this kit being for a longer period, different foods may be more useful.

The SHORT term kit (72 hours) can be mostly high calorie items intended to give you fuel to get to a more extensive cache of foods.

LONGER term kits (7 day or longer) should include foods with provide some bulk, vitamins, minerals and fiber, in addition to the calorie count.   These may also be foods with shorter storage life, so rotation becomes more important.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Food Supply: What Emergency Food Do You Need In A 72-Hour Kit?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »
Some good ideas in this article.  You can easily expand this to a 7 day kit or longer.  Please note my comments below.

https://thepreppingguide.com/72hr-food-supply/

I will note the need to rotate these foods an a regular basis, particularly if your kit is kept in a place which can become too warm for parts of the day, such as your car or even just a closet shelf.

If you plan on this kit being for a longer period, different foods may be more useful.

The SHORT term kit (72 hours) can be mostly high calorie items intended to give you fuel to get to a more extensive cache of foods.

LONGER term kits (7 day or longer) should include foods with provide some bulk, vitamins, minerals and fiber, in addition to the calorie count.   These may also be foods with shorter storage life, so rotation becomes more important.

To be honest, I think the comments you made that I highlighted in red are as good, if not better, advice than what was in the article. And much easier to read.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Article - Food Supply: What Emergency Food Do You Need In A 72-Hour Kit?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »
Jerry, thank you.

Sometimes we need to read mediocre advice to make us think of something better.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.