Home Page

Article - Emergency Foods: What to Do About Allergies and Sensitivities

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
While not being a victim of this, I know people who ARE allergic to certain foods (peanuts in that case), I think we should bear this in mind when we stockpile food stuffs.

Is anyone within your group allergic to some foods?  Do you know?

How about people who are NOT in your immediate group, but might find their way to you, post crisis.  While I would not be stockpiling for them, it is wise to know what foods MIGHT cause problems for other people.  I'm NOT saying to avoid these foods in your stockpile, but know which might be a problem for others.

For instance, peanut powder is available in bulk quantities and it is a good protein source and worth including in your stock.  Be aware that some people cannot handle eating it.

Read the content labels on Everything.

Oh, this is the article, it is not much longer than my screed above.

http://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/index.php/2017/10/01/emergency-foods-what-to-do-about-allergies-and-sensitivities/

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - Emergency Foods: What to Do About Allergies and Sensitivities
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
Only 1 out of 26 (including children) have food allergies. Chocolate and sesame seed which are not major prep foods.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »
In our household, lack of Chocolate IS a disaster  :o   We have a stockpile.  ;D   It gets cycled more frequently than the canned goods...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

With 13 females, I agree, lack of Chocolate IS a disaster and sooth the savage beast. I tried storing chocolate (dark is better than milk chocolate) but it doesn't store very well. Then there is the problem of "inventory shrinkage" too. 
Now I store cocoa powder, unsweetened and containing only pure cocoa solids (no cocoa butter). Cocoa powder with all of the natural fat of the beans removed stores well and it is not readily munched on.

Cocoa can be added hot reconstituted milk and some sugar, used in baking or add cocoa to coffee (or coffee substitute), with a touch of cinnamon, for a good beverage. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions