Home Page

Article - How Much Food is Enough (Updated for 2017)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - How Much Food is Enough (Updated for 2017)
« on: August 12, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
This may seem like a repetition for some of us, but for new preppers, or for those who might recognize themselves in the descriptions (lot of food stored, but never eat some of it and therefore cannot rotate stock).

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/how-much-food-is-enough/

I'll confess first.  I'm not a big rice eater.  So why do we have a 25 lb bag buried in the closet?  Answer:  Because we bought it when we started prepping and never bothered to use the oldest stuff first...

Another problem, related to storage space.  We don't have much storage space, so the stock is hard to rotate.  I can't easily get to the older food packages when they are piled behind the newer stuff.

On the other hand, I bake bread frequently, so my flour bags (more than one) are always near at hand and rotate automatically.

Spices, which fortunately have longer storage life (most of them).  Spices are on the shelves above the kitchen counter and this makes them both easy to see, but harder to rotate ( I can reach the back of the shelf, but my significant other must use a chair to stand on to reach them.  We need a deep spice cabinet that we both can reach into.

Does anyone else have these storage problems and how are you dealing with it?

[edit] cleanup in paragraph four
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:10:08 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.