Home Page

Article - Homemade "Bisquick(r)" recipe

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Homemade "Bisquick(r)" recipe
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
Before you assemble this mix, be aware that some of the ingredients will react with each other (Baking Powder and Salt) as soon as they are mixed.

The recipe is good, just don't mix them until you need to use them...

http://happymoneysaver.com/homemade-pancake-and-waffle-mix/

This is a good mix to use in a camp out situation, but again, carry the ingredients and mix them at the time of use.

if you must (why?) mix these ahead of time, use an airtight container and a moisture absorbing insert.   It is water which causes the baking powder and salt to react.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - Homemade "Bisquick(r)" recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »

water which causes the baking powder and salt to react

Baking powder contains baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a dry acid (cream of tartar or sodium aluminum sulfate). When liquid is added to a baking recipe, these two ingredients react to form bubbles of carbon dioxide gas. I think the salt is only to improve the taste.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »
Technically correct.  The problem with the salt (NaCl) is that it is hygroscopic, meaning that it absorbs water from the air and becomes damp.  Since if it is mixed with the baking powder, this starts the acid - base reaction.

The powdered sodium bicarbonate (base) and (usually) cream of tartar (acid) will not react if kept dry even if mixed, but the salt is the culprit which makes them react with each other.

If you're making a dough, you will usually add some water, which makes the reaction kick into high gear, making lots of Carbon Dioxide gas immediately.  You want this to happen.

If you mix these ingredients and just let them set in a jar, they will slowly react and eventually you will get a mix that will not rise even when you add liquid.

Hence my advice; don't mix these until, at most, a couple of days before you plan to use them in a recipe.  You can put the mix in an airtight jar and it (the salt) will take whatever little moisture is in the air left in the jar and start the reaction...  Slowly killing your mix.

This is one of those rare instances in which the expiration date on real Bisquick(r) actually means that it expires.  If your box of Bisquick(r) won't rise, you can add your own baking powder and cream of tartar and it works again.

I'm not just a cook and a chemist (BS Chem. 1973), but I play one on TV in my spare time.... ::) NOT
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:37:58 AM »
I had a similar recipe (maybe the same one) in my Y2k recipes.  We enjoyed it when we used it.  Thanks
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions