Home Page

Ways to Avoid the Google(r) Search Engine

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Ways to Avoid the Google(r) Search Engine
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
My personal opinion is that OPSEC (Operations Security) should be a normal part of everyday life.  It is part of "Situational Awareness".

Particularly where it relates to online activities.

Because Google(r) has a known history of failing to respect your online privacy, you should (IMO) be aware of alternative search options:

This article lists three of them, DuckDuckGo, Ixquick and TOR.   I am not comfortable with trusting TOR, which is a topic in itself, but the first two search options are not just "better", but qualify for the tag "safe".  At least a safe as you can expect from anything online.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/04/01/3-ways-to-search-web-without-google-tracking.html

The author, Kim Komando, is NOT, In My Opinion, a fully qualified authority on security, but they are at least acknowledging the problem and recommending a change in how you do online searches...

I would also recommend that you use Startpage (Startpage.com) as your default search engine in your browser.   Startpage is the creation of the same people who make and run Ixquick.  I think it has a smoother interface, but the underlying tools and security are the same.  YMMV

I have Startpage.com set as my "Home" page in my Firefox browser.  It is also set as the default search engine for all 'net searches through the browser.

For example, when I do a web search for prepper related topics, foods, water filters, tools, vehicles, paracord, etc., I would like to NOT leave a trail pointing back to my IP address which has a big sign saying: "This guy is a prepper, you can find stuff at his place."

Search Safely.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.