Home Page

Infogalactic, An Alternative to Wikipedia

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Infogalactic, An Alternative to Wikipedia
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
In another thread, there is a discussion of the use of online information sources to add to your library.

This is an alternate source, created in response to possible problems with the more well known "Wikipedia".

It is not (yet) as large as Wikipedia, but deserves note.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Main_Page

Usage is similar for both pieces of software.

Do read the intro page (linked above) which describes Infogalactic philosophy and how it differs from Wikipedia.

[edit] Read this article which describes on major difference in the structure and usage of Infogalactic data.

http://file770.com/?p=31204&cpage=1

quoted from this link:

"Infogalactic, Vox Day’s new online encyclopedia, begins life today as a copy of the Wikipedia that, with the aid of volunteer editors, will be developed into multiple versions of the material which will let users select their preferred perspective and automatically see the version of the subject page that is closest to it based on a series of algorithms utilizing three variables, Relativity, Reliability, and Notability. Day explains, “This means a supporter of Hillary Clinton will see a different version of the current Donald Trump page than a Donald Trump supporter will, as both users will see the version of the page that was most recently edited by editors with perspective ratings similar to his own.”

I have NOT been able to locate a method to download the Infogalactic database, which is a necessity it it is to become part of my SHTF library.  I will keep looking and update if/when I locate this method.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:57:22 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.