Home Page

DIY Alice Pack using PVC Pipe

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
DIY Alice Pack using PVC Pipe
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:37:34 AM »
For those with a small amount of skill and a few tools, this is a nice project for these winter nights.

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86433&sid=55def0c7d00d7cb948d6cb26308b4929

There are very good pictures and specific instructions on what shapes fail and which worked better.

NOTE the paint to cover the white PVC.

The author used 1/2 inch diameter PVC, and I would try 3/4 inch dia. for added strength with very little extra weight.

PVC pipe comes in different wall thicknesses and the thicker wall is stronger.

I don't know how long this pack will last under heavy use, but a little care in how you handle it will go a long way to extending the lifetime.

One problem I see is that replacing broken pieces will not be a simple job and you would need to have access to spare PVC, saw and PVC glue.  It is possible to make "splints" with other PVC pieces (or just wood sticks) to support a broken piece.

Certainly lower cost than buying an Alice frame in the military surplus stores.

I note the suggestion in the comments below the original post, that using plastic Electrical Conduit  will make a frame with higher temperature resistance.  This could make a difference if, for instance, you leave your frame near the camp fire and it melts or deforms.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:41:54 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: DIY Alice Pack using PVC Pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:27:47 AM »
Almost looks like a Swiss frame pack

Joe
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
In case of breaks, as long as there is at least a stub left on one side and plenty of room on the other, you could use a PVC compression coupling for repair. Kind of heavy, and bulky, but a possible option.

I do think I would solvent cement weld (correct term for gluing PVC and other 'plastics' together using a solvent cement. Just FYI.) the thing together, but only after some extensive trial and error use. PVC pipe is extremely durable. I always preferred Class 160 or Class 200 for lightweight projects, but for this, I think Sch 40 is probably best. Or the conduit.

I like some of the other suggestions, too. Especially the float boat. It has given me some major ideas. Thank you TWP!

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
Jerry,

I looked at the boat too and I think it could be left in a state (partially cemented) where it could be easily dismantled and stored in a small space, such as a cache on the side of the river.

I'm thinking some simple rope stays to pull the joints together under use.  Easily removed if you need to store the pieces again after use.

If the bridges are out, then that leaves a means of crossing a river, with supplies.

Might be wise to put that cache on both sides of the river...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.