Home Page

Article - How to Make Amish Sweet Bread

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - How to Make Amish Sweet Bread
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
This is what I have been using for years.  I do not use the salt, but your taste may vary.

http://www.askaprepper.com/make-amish-sweet-bread/

I also use two whole eggs, beaten, for a different texture in my loaves.

I've been doing this long enough to no longer use a measuring cup for the ingredients, but if you're just getting started with bread making, DO follow the recipe quantities until you learn to make dough.  About 5 or 10 batches should show you enough to trust your abilities.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - How to Make Amish Sweet Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

Extra fats will keep the crumb tender but can somewhat retard gluten formation and effect rising.

I like adding eggs too. Eggs added to dough help with rising. A bread dough rich with egg can rise very high and fats from the yolk help to tenderize the crumb and lighten the texture a bit. Eggs also contain the emulsifier lecithin. Lecithin can add to the overall consistency of the loaf.

Replacing part of the water with milk gives a more tender, sweeter bread as milk sugar (lactose) is not eaten by the yeast.

Salt slows down fermentation and enzyme activity in dough and leaving out of bread, especially machine bread, can cause the dough to blowout and collaps. While salt boosts the flavor of the bread, it also tightens the gluten structure and strength of the dough increasing the the carbon dioxide gas retention during fermentation giving better volume.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions