Home Page

Zippo Lighters - mods and upgrades

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Zippo Lighters - mods and upgrades
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
This article goes over the pros and cons of the Zippo lighter.  Not the propane/butane lighters, although they are compared.

https://survivalcommonsense.com/modify-a-zippo-lighter-for-survival-firemaking/

The primary drawback to the zippo is that it needs liquid fuel which does evaporate over relatively small time periods.

Propane/butane can be carried in a separate vessel and it does not evaporate.  The same is true for the Zippo fuel.

Do read the article for suggestions on why the Zippo is the overall better choice and how to modify the lighter itself for more reliable use.

1) replace the felt fuel liner
2) carry extras strikers and flints in the fuel compartment
3) Wrap the lighter for a better seal (less evaporation)

That being said, carry both because they operate differently in different environments.  One may fail where the other will work... One is none, two is one and three might be enough.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Zippo Lighters - mods and upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
I have seen many people claim that Zippo lighters are terrible for field carry because, as was stated, the fuel does evaporate over time. It seems like they never even consider carrying extra fuel, just as I am sure they do for any stove they use that is not wood fired, and carry batteries for electronic devices and flashlights, extra matches, and pretty much any other item that uses consumables.

Small bottles of lighter fuel are available, and they do not evaporate much, except under pretty extreme conditions. An Zippo makes (or has made under license) a very effective fuel canister similar to a cache tube. It, too, will evaporate over time, but carrying a couple of them, even if not checked on a regular schedule, will usually still have enough fuel to get a lighter going.

And if plans are carried out as they should be, Zippo lighters, and the fuel canisters, should be checked occasionally just as many other items in kits should be checked regularly. And certainly before any scheduled trip, Zippos and fuel canisters should be topped off before leaving.

Since I have been doing that, my Zippos have never failed me.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)